Monday, August 1, 2011

31 July 2011

Observing LocationP84
Observational Period1915-2045 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
becoming
Scattered
Temperature83° F
Windlight Breeze
gusting to
Gentle Breeze
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
84°F
Humidity49%
Barometric Pressure29.98" Hg
4
KNYC METAR312251Z AUTO VRB03KT 10SM FEW100 28/17 A3001 RMK AO2 SLP151 T02830167 TSNO
Feels Likewarm

TransparencyPoor
SeeingII
InstrumentsCelestron C70 Mini Mak spotting scope w/ stock 25x-75x zoom lens
    Sunset FC 2000 tripod
  • Kendrick 6004/Baader AstroSolar filter
  • FAR Laboratories Helio-Pod
  • Empire Magnetic POLYCAST Protractor
  • Planetarium for Palm on Tungsten|T3

Celestron Outland 8x42 binocular
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110731.1930 EDT
Distance
Light Time
1.02 AU
8m s
Angular Size31' 33.8"
Altitude19.9°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
5.75°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
336.64°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
10.64°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Comments

LightTrac graphic

I arrived just as the Sun was sinking into a deck of clouds. After a little bit it descended into a break in the clouds that was about 1/2 Sun diameter high so I only had a couple of minutes of observing time for the whole disk as it passed behind the rent in the cloud. It wasnt too hard to figure out where the groups were on the disc and count the major spots but I could only estimate the number of spots I saw in group 2161. Once the sun fell below that window it was never seen again.
My sunspot number is a good bit lower than it would have been if I had had an unobstructed view of the Sun so more time to count the spots in each group, particularly the complex group 1261.
I could guess at the Mcintosh System designation for each group but that guess would be informed by what I observed yesterday and may not be valid today. I only saw obvious penumbra around the P spot of group 1260. Group 1261 is still more penumbra than umbra. I suspect that there was still penumbra around the spots of group 1263 but didn't depict it in my drawing. I did not have time to make detailed sketches of each individual group.
I did not see group 1265.
 Groups SpotsR
North31242
South000
Total31242
NASA Sunspot Number101
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from 3D Sun

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor

Group 1260
Heliographic Latitude
Heliographic Longitude323°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Mcintosh System 

Helio graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor
Group 2161
Heliographic Latitude22°
Heliographic Longitude336°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Mcintosh System 

Helio graphic
Group 2163
Heliographic Latitude37°
Heliographic Longitude 359°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Mcintosh System 

Helio graphic
Group 2165
Not Seen
Heliographic Latitude 
Heliographic Longitude 
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
 
Mcintosh System 

Solar Dynamics Laboratory graphic from SWx Monitor

Yesterday Helio reported the latitude of all the spots as roughly the same, as it should. Today, no matter how I configure it for disk rotation, it reports the latitude of the spots increasing as you move across the disk to the east. Since I divide the Sun into quadrants when I am making my drawings so am going to configure Helio that way (disk rotation) from here out as well. But VMware doesn't seem to keep my settings or even remember what programs I have running when I suspend the VM so I will probably forget to reconfigure when I next run the program.

TargetTumbling Cosmos 2428 Rocket Booster Visible Pass
Constellation 
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110731.2008 EDT
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time2028:10 EDT2036:08 EDT2044:11 EDT
Alt.horizon47.4°horizon
Az.218.8°
SW
298.8°
WNW/td>
19.1°
NNE
Mag6.44.76.4
CommentsThis is a naked eye tumbling "satellite" but the flash rate is 1/minute so the likelihood of my spotting it was low and the sky was still fairly bright so I didn't even attempt it.
2010 EDT
Sunset
Beginning of civil twilight
2041 EDT
Ed of civil twilingt
Beginning of nautical twilight

TargetIridium 23 Flare
ConstellationLyr
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110731.2042 EDT
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time2042:48 EDT2042:47 EDT
Alt.65°65.3°
Az.91°
E
90.7°
E
Mag.00.3
Surface MMA1
CommentsThe satellite appeared below and to the right of Vega, probably about as far away as M57, and was about nearly as bright as Vega. It was moving N to S and seemed to pulse in brightness but that was probably a result of its passing behind areas of more dense cloud.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110731.2100 EDT
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation63° 54' E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
10.1 AU
1h 24m
Distance
(from Sun)
9.65 AU
Angular Size16.5"x14.6"
Ring
Angular
Size
37.3"x5.4"
Ring
Inclination
-8° 19'
Magnitude0.9
Altitude22° 1'

Star Walk graphic
CommentsThe planet is getting farther away from Porrima, moving towards Spica.
The portion of the rings on the eastern side of the planet looke wider and thicker than the side to the west. I can see a band of shadow on the rings next to the disk to the east. It appears to be wider at the bottom and tapers to a point as it reaches the upper edge of the rings.

I had planned to stay until 2200 EDT when Astronomical Twilight ended to see if that would make a difference in my ability to see Saturn's moons but the clouds covered the planet around 2130 EDT and by 2145 EDT it was evident that they were only going to be moving further across the sky from NJ so I packed it in. I don't think I have enough aperture to see Saturn's moons but expect to have no problem spotting those of Jupiter.


SkySafari v2.1.2 graphic
2118 EDT
End of nautical twilight
Beginning of astronomical twilight
2159 EDT
End of Astronomical Twilight




Observing Hours for the Year 2011

 DayNightTotal
HoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvg
Jan0.0000.002.0012.002.0012.00
Feb0.0000.002.0012.002.0012.00
Mar0.0000.007.0032.337.0032.33
Apr0.0000.008.2524.138.2524.13
May1.2530.4216.0053.2017.2572.46
Jun0.0000.004.0014.004.0014.00
Jul3.5040.8814.0052.8017.5082.19
TOTAL4.7570.6853.25182.9658.00232.52