Wednesday, August 3, 2011

2 August 2011

Observing LocationMidland Beach, Staten Island, NY
Observational Period1730-1800 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered
Temperature88° F
WindGentle Breeze
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
none
Humidity32%
Barometric Pressure29.69" Hg
2
KEWR METARKEWR 022351Z 29007KT 10SM FEW065 BKN250 31/13 A2969 RMK AO2 SLP054 T03110128 10339 20311 53003
Feels Likehot

TransparencyFair
SeeingII
InstrumentsCelestron C70 Mini Mak spotting scope
  • Sunset CF-2000 Tripod
  • Kendrick filter cell with Baader AstroSolar filter film
  • Empire Magnetic POLYCAST Protractor
  • Planetarium for Palm on Tungsten|T3
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110802.1730 EDT
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 26s
Angular Size31' 34.1"
Altitude28° 05'
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
5.87°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
314.03°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
11.32°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Comments

LightTrac graphic

I had trouble dealing with Helio again today. When I set it to the true UT of my observation it showed the sun had already set. I found that I had to back the time up by three hours to get the Sun's altitude to agree with that at which it was observed. I also found that when placing sunspots on the disk the software appears to reference their latitude in relation to the view selected so when I view the Sun as I see it Group 1260 is reported at -13° but if I don't change the location of the spot on the screen but switch to Alt/Az mode the group s reported at 5°. So I have taken to positioning the spots in true view then switching over to Alt/Az to get the stats. When looking at the SDO images group 1260 appears to be the highest in latitude but when I position it it is reported as the lowest. I haven't figured this out yet.

 Groups SpotsR
North31848
South000
Total31848
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)
NASA Sunspot Number98

3D Sun graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory from SWx Monitor

Group 1260
Heliographic Latitude
Heliographic Longitude354°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Mcintosh SystemCho

Helio graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory from SWx Monitor
Group 1261
Heliographic Latitude12°
Heliographic Longitude322°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Mcintosh SystemHko

Helio graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor
Group 1263
Heliographic Latitude18°
Heliographic Longitude296°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Mcintosh SystemEso

Helio graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory graohic from SWx Monitor