Monday, August 22, 2011

20 August 2011

Observing LocationConey Island Lighthouse, Norton's Point, Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY
Lat. 40° 34' 35.09"
Long. 74° 00' 42.41"
Observational Period0845-0915 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature73° F
WindLight Breeze
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
--
Humidity76%
Barometric Pressure30.00" Hg
2
KJFK METARKJFK 201251Z 24004KT 8SM FEW018 SCT250 23/18 A3000 RMK AO2 SLP157 T02280183
Feels LikeWarm

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsCelestron C70 Mini Mak spotting scope
  • stock 25x-75x zoom eyepiece
  • Kendrick filter cell with Baader AstroSolar filter film
  • Sunset FO-2000 tripod
  • Empire Magnetic POLYCAST Protractor
  • Planetarium for Palm on Tungsten|T3

Celestron Outland 8x42 binocular
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

I was out at the Coney Island Lighthouse today with the Kings County Repeater Association to celebrate International Lighthouse/Lightships Day.

Google Earth graphic

Sky Safari v 2.1.2 graphic

Target Sunspots
ConstellationLeo
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110820.0845 EDT
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 25s
Angular Size31' 37"
Altitude28° 01'
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
6.85°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
80.33°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
17.62°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113

Light Track graphic
CommentsI did not know if I would have internet access so didn't bring my iPad so my sunspot graphics from NASA were made later than they should have been. They are showing group 1274 on the limb which may not have been there at the time of my observations so their sunspot number may be higher than it was when I made my observation.
 Groups SpotsR
North1818
South1111
Total2929
Official NOAA Sunspot Number59
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

3D Sun graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor

Group 1271
Heliographic Latitude10°
Heliographic Longitude53°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Sunspots Counted8
Mcintosh SystemEhi

Helio graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor
Group 1272
I could only find the largest spot of the group and its penumbra didn't appear to be extraordinary so there I didn't see a need to sketch it.
Heliographic Latitude °
Heliographic Longitude °
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Sunspots Counted1
Mcintosh SystemAkx

Helio graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor

TargetMoon
ConstellationAri
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110820.0900 EDT
Lunation1096
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Age20d 18h 19m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
km
1.33s
Elongation105° 5' W
% Illuminated63.0%%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)168°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)348°
Libration in Latitude-3° 56'
Libration in Longitude-4° 5'
Magnitude-10.6
Angular Size30' 00"
Altitude40° 40'

Light Track graphic

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

Moon Atlas graphic

Sky Safari v2.1.2 graphic
CommentsThe Moon looked very nice appearing as a turtle shell sitting on the terminator. There was nice shadow along the western edge of Mare Imbrium with the terminator passing near Montes Apenninus.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationAri
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110820.0900 EDT
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation107° 00' W
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
4.56 AU
37 m 58s
Distance
(from Sun)
4.96 AU
Angular Size43.1"x40.3"
Magnitude-2.6
Central Meridian
I/II
96°/52°
Altitude37° 54'
Starry Night Starter graphic

Sky Safari v2.1.2 graphic
CommentsI knew that Jupiter was to the lower left of the Moon (~4.5°) so used my protractor to set its approximate elevation and just started sweeping the sky until I saw a spot of light.

Sky Safari v2.1.2 graphic

It resolved nicely to an obviously planetary image even at only 25x. I wasn't able to pick out any moons and was not able to locate the planet in the binocular.

Jupiter is currently ~1.5° below the Ecliptic.


Sky Safari v2.1.2 graphic



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2230-0030 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
3
Cloud CoverClear
becoming
Scattreed Clouds
Temperature° F
WindCalm
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
--
Humidity79%
Barometric Pressure" Hg
29.99
KNYC METAR210251Z AUTO 21003KT 9SM CLR 24/20 A3001 RMK AO2 SLP153 T02390200 50006 TSNO
Feels LikeMild

TransparencyFair
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked Eye - Charlie
Teleport 10" Donsonisn reflector – Peter
  • 2" Pentax 40mm, 70° FoV, 31.8x
  • 2" TeleVue Nagler 17mm, 82° FoV, 74.7x
  • 1.25" TeleVue Nagler 13mm, 82° FoV, 97.7x
  • 1.25" TeleVue Plossl 7mm, 82° FoV, 181.4x

Binoculars - Jordan
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Jordan Kushner
Jordan's observing partner
When I arrived home from playing radio at the lighthouse event I found, as I knew I would, an email from Peter saying he was going up to TotL to observe. I figured it would be nearly 2300 EDT before I could get there and was tired so went up without any equipment.

The sky was starting to cloud up when I arrived and we didn't do that much observing after that. I got a look at some double stars in Lyra through Peter's telescope and found M31 in Jordan's hand-held binoculars and helped him find it himself. At the end of the night I looked at Jupiter in Peter's hand-held Nikon binoculars but they are too heavy for me to hold them steady enough to see the Galilean moons. The Moon was rising in haze.