The area appears to be very rural with the epicenter out in the woods.
I reported the event on the USGS Did You Feel It page and they gaded the estimated intensity here as III (weak shaking, no damage).
I wonder if my MacBook Pro running the Quake-Catcher Network program in BOINC reported it.
Notify NYC ✆ swnalert@sendwordnow.com to Charlie
14:34 (16 minutes ago)Alert issued 8/23/11 at 2:25 PM. The USGS is reporting a 5.8 magnitude earthquake near Virginia that has caused shocks in the New York City area. In the event of an emergency please call 9-1-1.
The sender provided the following contact information.
Sender's Name: Notify NYC
Sender's Email: notifynyc@oem.nyc.gov
Sender's Contact Phone: 212-639-9675
Notify NYC ✆ swnalert@sendwordnow.com to Charlie
15:03 (1 hour ago)Notification issued 8/23/11 at 3:00 PM. There are no reports of major structural damage, injuries, transportation, or utility service disruptions affecting New York City at this time. For the latest MTA information visit: http://www.mta.info.
The sender provided the following contact information.
Sender's Name: Notify NYC
Sender's Email: notifynyc@oem.nyc.gov
Sender's Contact Phone: 212-639-9675
I checked into the network of cooperating siesmic stations on the eastern seaboard and managed to eventually get pictures of their recordings of the event.
- Orono, ME
University of Maine -
- Boston College
- Smithfield, RI
Bryant University - New Haven, CT
Yale University - Westfield, CT
-
- Binghamton, NY
- Palisades, NY
Columbia University - Towson, MD
- Blacksburg, VA
Virginia Tech
Columbia has a seismograph in Central Park so I was able to determine that I likely felt the shaking at 1352-3 EDT. I got information from it for both N-S and E-W shaking and it appears that the N-S component was stronger although I did not sense it at all.
USGS has compiled a tectonic summary explaining what actually happened.
This quake occurred in a known seismically active region but this is the largest event to have occurred since the advent of reliable seismometers and larger than the estimate for the largest event since the 18th century.
The FEMA HazUS program produced the following impact probability assessmens.
This map from one of my many iPad earthquake programs shows the earthquakes that have occurred in New England since over the past year or so.
I also found while doing all this research, that Hurricane Irene is forecast to be up here on Sunday night. Currently Irene is a Category 1 hurricane but it is predicted to intensify into a major (Category 3-5) hurricane Wednesday night or Thursday.

