Saturday, August 13, 2011

12 August 2011

Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period1745-0015 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered
becoming
Clear
Temperature78° F
WindCalm
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
--
Humidity43
Barometric Pressure30.01" Hg
3
KNYC METAR122351Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM FEW070 26/12 A3003 RMK AO2 SLP161 T02560122 10289 20256 53004 TSNO
Feels Likevery pleasant

TransparencyFair
SeeingII
Instruments6" f/4.9 DIY Dobsonian Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Orion Deluxe Quick Finder
  • 1st Base collapsible Dobsonian mount
  • Orion 2 inch to 1.25" Precision Centering Adapter
  • ~18mm Kellner eyepiece with helical focuser, 34x
  • 12mm eyepiece, 48x
  • 1.25" Celestron Accessory Kit
    • 32mm Plossl, 2.31° FoV, 19x
    • 15mm Plossl, 1.28° FoV, 41x
    • 9mm Plossl, 0.77° FoV, 68x
    • 6mm Plossl, 0.5° FoV, 101x
    • 4mm Plossl, 0.34° FoV, 152x
    • 2x Barlow
    • Filter set
      • Red, Wratten 25
      • Orange, Wratten 21
      • Yellow, Wratten 12
      • Dark Green, Wratten 58A
      • Green, Wratten 58
      • Blue, Wratten 80A
      • Moon, 18% neutral density
  • Empire Magnetic POLYCAST Protractor
  • Planetarium for Palm on Tungsten|T3
  • iPad w/astronomy apps
Takahashi 22x60 binocular - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110812.2030 EDT
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time2030:34 EDT2031:14 EDT2031:53 EDT
Alt.10°10°10°
Az.SESEESE
Mag-1.3
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time2027:06 EDT2031:15 EDT2032:58 EDT
Alt.horizon10.6°7.7°
Az.183.4°
S
129.0°
SE/td>
99.3°
E
Mag-0.6-2.1-1.8

Sky Safari v 2.1.2 graphic
CommentsI picked it up skimming the treetops in Manhattan east. It appeared to be traveling level and was probably observed near culmination. It was easily seen in early twilight.

TargetSaturn
Constellation Vir
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110812.2030 EDT
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation54° 17' E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
10.2 AU
1 h 25m
Distance
(from Sun)
9.65 AU
Angular Size16.2"x14.4"
Ring
Angular
Size
36.8"x5.59"
Ring
Inclination
-8° 44'
Magnitude0.9
Altitude19° 59'

My sketch, done in the dark

Sky Safari v 2.1.2 graphic
CommentsSaturn was difficult tonight. I saw Arcturus shortly after sunset but it was a while until I saw any lights down where I thought Saturn should be. When I found something and got the scope on it it was obviously Spica. Checking Planetarium I saw that Spica and Saturn were near the same altitude grid line so I just slewed the scope west until I came upon a golden light which was round with a diagonal line through it. I started out at 19x then moved to 41x and finally 68x. 41x proved to be the most useful magnification. 68x yields a larger planet but reduced definition. The planet at 19x is very sharp but most casual observers would probably mistake it for a star. Shortly after it was first observed naked-eye it was covered by clouds and never reappeared. I was able to keep it in the eyepiece for a long while but the image grew increasingly fainter and softer as it lost altitude.

TargetMoon
ConstellationSgr
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110813.2100-2400 EDT
Lunation1096
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age12d 6h 19m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
390,962 km
1.30s
Elongation159° 17' E
% Illuminated96.8%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)76.9°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)256.9°
Libration in Latitude-4° 14'
Libration in Longitude4° 49'
Magnitude-12.1
Angular Size30' 55"
Altitude21° 13'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

Sky Safari v 2.1.2 graphics

Sky Safari v. 2.1.2 graphic
CommentsI spent more time showing the Moon than I did observing it.
The area around Mare Spumans and Mare Undarum looked nice. Undarum appeared as a very pronounced 3.

Moon Atlas graphic

I was picking up some fine detail in the area of Capuanus to the NW or Tycho.


Moon Atlas graphic

There were three very distance dark patches around Murchison beneath Mare Imbrium and Mare Serenitatis indicating Mare Vaporum and Mare Aestuum in the lakes district.


Moon Atlas graphic

Early in the evening there were clouds and haze around the Moon but it was always visible. In a low power view I could see a ring around the Moon and then black sky beyond. Getting towards time to leave the clouds had moved on and the sky was beautifully black making for good contrast between it and the Moon.

TargetIridium 57 Flare
ConstellationCyg
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110812.2132 EDT
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time2132:37 EDT2132:37 EDT
Alt.52°52.3°
Az.81°
E
81.2°
E
Mag.-2-2.0
Surface MMA1

Sky Safari v 2.1.2 graphics
CommentsMoving N-->S low in Cygnus.

At some point during the evening Peter and I were looking into Cassiopeia when a meteor streaked by beneath the constellation. My impression of it was that it was long, probably 8-10° from end to end, and pointed on both ends like a sewing needle. It was white or possibly slightly yellowish and moved basically horizontally across the sky. My initial reaction was that it was something other than a Perseid because of its direction of travel but on looking at Planetarium it appears that it most likely was a Perseid. Later in the evening Peter saw another one in the same area of the sky but failed to give advance warning so everyone else was looking elsewhere.


Planetarium for Palm graphic

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110812.2205 EDT
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time2203:46 EDT2205:06 EDT2205:06 EDT
Alt.10°23°23°
Az.WSWWSWWSW
Mag-1.6
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time2201:45 EDT EDT2205:26 EDT
Alt.horizon°28.4°
Az.235.9°
SW
°
/td>
242.3°
WSW
Mag0.0-2.6

Sky Safari v. 2.1.2 graphic
CommentsThis time the ISS appeared rising nearly vertically out of the trees on the west side of the Lawn. It got fairly high before it disappeared in Earth's penumbra and the clouds.

TargetIridium 5 Flare
ConstellationAnd
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110812.2248 EDT
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time2248:14 EDT2248:14 EDT
Alt.15°15.5°
Az.48°
NE
47.8°
NE
Mag.-6-4.7
Surface MMA1

Sky Safari v. 2.1.2
CommentsThis one appeared very low moving N-->S. It didn't even look like a mag -4.6 let along a -6.

TargetM31, Andromeda Galaxy, NGC224
ConstellationAnd
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2011 EDT
Magnitude4.5
Surface Brightness/sq'
Size178'x63'
ShapeEliptical
Difficulty 
Distance2,200,000 ly
Location

Where is M13 graphic
top down view

Where is M13 graphic
edge on view

Sky Safari v. 2.1.2 graphic
References
Deep Sky Observer’s Guide:
53
Stars and Planets:
30, 40, 51, 129, 132, 137, 171, 172, 182, 244, 270,
Binocular Highlights:
88
The Observer’s Sky Atlas:
CommentsI haven't gotten upside down star hopping down yet. I know that it shouldn't make any difference since I have software that will rotate the maps to agree with the way things appear in my telescope, but I am used to seeing things moving down and right when I make that hop and it was very disconcerting seeing them going up and left even though I knew I was going in the right direction. I found Mirach, β And, without problem and from there got to μ And by just pushing the scope in the direction I thought appropriate. From there I was lost. I probably passed right over the galaxy since it was faint. finally gave up and had Peter drive. It might have been a little easier to see when I bumped magnification up from 19x to 41x.