Thursday, August 18, 2011

17 August 2011

Observing LocationP84
Observational Period1650-1835 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear - Isolated
Temperature83° F
WindLight Breeze
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
83° F
Humidity47%
Barometric Pressure30.07" Hg
7
KNYC METAR172051Z AUTO VRB04KT 10SM CLR 28/16 A3010 RMK AO2 SLP183 T02830161 56013 TSNO
Feels LikeWarm

TransparencyGood
SeeingII-III
InstrumentsCelestron C70 Mini Mak spotting scope
  • stock 25x-75x zoom eyepiece
  • Kendrick filter cell with Baader AstroSolar filter film
  • Sunset FO-2000 tripod
  • Empire Magnetic POLYCAST Protractor
  • Planetarium for Palm on Tungsten|T3
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationLeo
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110817.1700 EDT
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 25s
Angular Size31' 38.9"
Altitude31° 23'
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
6.75°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
113.23°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
16.82°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113

3D Sun graphic
CommentsObserving was difficult today due to cloud cover. There weren't that many clouds but they were coming out of the west so were low on the horizon where they bunch up. I had to wait for a good while for a large cloud to move from in front of the Sun before I could complete my observations.

I counted three groups on the sun today. There are two large obvious ones near the western limb, one each in the north and south, and another much less conspicuous group more toward the center of the disk in the southern hemisphere which NASA hasn't noticed yet. I think anything that is large enough for me to see it in my little spotting scope should have an official designation.


Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor
 Groups SpotsR
North1616
South2323
Total3939
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 1271
Heliographic Latitude18°
Heliographic Longitude57°
Spots Counted3
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Mcintosh SystemExc

Helio graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor
Group 1272
Heliographic Latitude-15°
Heliographic Longitude68°
Spots Counted1
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Mcintosh SystemCrx

Helio Graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor
Unnumbered Group [1273]
Heliographic Latitude-22°
Heliographic Longitude123°
Spots Counted2
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
Mcintosh SystemAxo

Helio graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor
I came across this depiction of the Sun from the Solar Influences Data Analysis Center (SIDC) in Belgium, probably a part of the European Space Agency.

Solar Influences Data Analysis Center graphic
At the scale it is available to me I find it hard to deal with since the indicators from various agencies overlay one other. It does indicate that NOAA hasn't found the small sunspot group out in the center of the southern hemisphere.

I used to use the Active Solar Regions program by Raben Systems. It was a project being developed for NOAA and I guess it was available to the public, if they could find it, as a sort of beta testing program while it was under development. I can't find anywhere to download the software now, but the graphics from it are available on the Web from Maps - Active Solar Regions | raben.com.


Raben Systems graphic
An interesting thing I found out while reading the legend was that the scale of the grid on the back side of the Sun approximates the portion of the sun that will rotate onto the earth-facing side of the Sun each day. If those three groups on the right side of the back face graphic and those on the earth-facing side hold up the sun should be getting very interesting about this time this week.