Saturday, July 30, 2011

30 July 2011

Observing LocationBP
Observational Period1640-1705 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature90° F
WindCalm
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
89° F
Humidity33%
Barometric Pressure29.86" Hg
6
KNYC METAR302051Z AUTO VRB06KT 10SM CLR 32/14 A2994 RMK AO2 SLP128 T03220139 56008 TSNO
Feels Likehot

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
InstrumentsCelestron C70 Mini Mak spotting scope- Charlie
  • Kendrick filter cell with Baader AstroSolar filter film
  • stock tabletop tripod
  • FAR Laboratories Helio-Pod
  • Empire Magnetic Polycast Protractor
  • Planetarium for Palm on Tungsten|T3
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110730 EDT
Distance
Light Time
1.02 AU
8m 27s
Angular Size31' 33.4"
Altitude38° 47'
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
5.63°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
357.48°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
10.01°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2113
CommentsThe sun is nearly conjuncted in R.A. with M44.
A very active sun with three sunspot groups, 4 large spots with penumbra and a group of many small spots.
The sun burped today at group 1261 producing a short M9-class flare but no CME.

LightTrac graphic
 Groups SpotsR
North31949
South000
Total31949
NASA Sunspot Number88
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

3D Sun graphic

Solar Dynamics Observatory inage from SWx Monitor

Group 1260
Heliographic Latitude7°
Heliographic Longitude8°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112
Mcintosh SystemDho


Helio graphic


Solar Dynamics Observatory image from SWx Monitor
Group 1261
Heliographic Latitude8°
Heliographic Longitude38°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112
Mcintosh SystemEai


Helio graphic


Solar Dynamics Observatory image from SWx Monitor
Group 1262
Heliographic Latitude8°
Heliographic Longitude57°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112
Mcintosh SystemDho


Helio graphic


Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor




Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2045-2300 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
becoming
Scattered-Broken
Temperature83° F
falling to
81°F
WindCalm
increasing to
Light Breeze
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
none
Humidity44%
increasing to
49%
Barometric Pressure29.96" Hg
increasing to
30.00: Hg
1
KNYC METAR310051Z AUTO 01003KT 10SM CLR 28/15 A2999 RMK AO2 SLP144 T02830150 TSNO
Feels Likewarm

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsCelestron c70 Mini Mak spotting scope
Celestron Outland 8x42 binocular
Planetarium for Palm on Tungsten|T3
Empire Magnetic Polycast Protractor
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway


Lost without a moon

Where has this moon gone? the moon that used to brighten up
the night sky,
And the moon that used to shine
Brighter than any star,
The moon that used to bring to me
This beautiful light,
For this moon used to lighten up
My heart,
Now that this moon is gone
I must rely on the stars
to bring me light,
This moon left me alone,
alone to suffer and think
empty thoughts,
And now i know that
I am lost,
Oh where has this moon gone?

Oscar Aceves



The Moon was New this afternoon at 1440 EDT so the sky should have been at its darkest. As Scorpius moved west I was able to see stars low over the southern skyline.

The only objective I had for this session was to try to see Vesta, which is currently at opposition so at its brightest but doesn't clear the treetops until around 2200 EDT.

Since it was very hot today, the start of another heat wave, and I wasn't going after anything in particular I traveled light. Walking past the McGraw-Hill building the thermometer there read 90&def;F although the Central Park weather station was only reporting 83°F. It was uncomfortable making the walk whatever the temperature was.

I was able to get several targets into the eyepiece but it isn't easy. My tripod isn't tall enough to get the eyepiece at a convenient height for pointing at anything much above 30° altitude which doesn't leave many targets. The easiest way for me to find anything is to figure out where it is relative to the horizon, point at that spot on the horizon, then look up the object's altitude in Planetarium and elevate the scope using my protractor. From there I have to sweep the neighborhood until I find the object or something I can identify so I can start a star hop. Using the binocular to identify the major stars of Capricornus I was able to star hop to Vesta with the Mini Mak.

A fair number of people stopped to take a look early in the evening so I kept the scope pointed at Saturn, which is the only thing in the sky that I can find with that scope that is worth looking at. Later, after foot traffic subsided I pointed at

  • Aldeberan
  • the Sting of Sco
  • Porrima
I tried for Alberio but the clouds closed in on that part of the sky before I could locate it.

Around 2200 EDT, after I was by myself, I moved over to TOTLW to search for (4) Vesta.

By 2300 EDT the sky had filled with small puffy clouds and it looked like it was heading towards overcast so I packed up and walked the West Drive out of the park. Along the way at 2320 EDT down near Sheep Meadow the sky was perfectly clear and remained so through the rest of my walk home.