Wednesday, July 13, 2011

13 July 2011

Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period1600-1700 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature84° F
WindGentle Breeze
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
84° F
Humidity46%
Barometric Pressure29.73" Hg
7
KNYC METAR131951Z AUTO 26007KT 220V300 10SM SCT055 29/16 A2975 RMK AO2 SLP065 T02890161 TSNO
Feels Likevery hot

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
InstrumentsCelestron 70mm Mini Mak - Charlie
  • Celestron 25x-75x zoom eyepiece (stock with the Mini Mak)
  • Kendrick #6004 filter cell with Baader Astro Solar visual filter film
  • FAR Laboratories Helio-Pod finder
  • Empire Magnetic POLYCAST Protractor
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Session Objectives
  1. to finally get the Sun into the eyepiece of the Mini Mak - achieved,
  2. to figure out where the Sun's image should be on the Helio-Pod when it is in the eyepiece - achieved,
  3. to perform a sunspot count - achieved, and
  4. to observe the ISS with Shuttle attached pass across the disk of the Sun - not observed.

I used Sly Safari v2.1.2 to determine the altitude of the sun which I set on my protractor. I held the protractor on top of the scope barrel and aligned the plumb bob with the appropriate index mark. The sun wasn't there when I swung the scope across the sky but at one point there was a flash of light on the bottom edge of the mirror so I scanned down at that location until I found the sun.

The scope is going to be good for what I got it for, grab-and-go solar observing. At 25x the view was crisp and easy to focus. I saw all the major spots although one of then I interpreted as one spot when it resolved into two at 50x. The view is a little softer at 50x but still good enough to resolve additional detail. 75x is nearly worthless. It is soft and hard to achieve critical focus.

I had the Helio-Pod mounted on the left side of the scope near the eyepiece and found that when the Sun was centered in the eyepiece its image was offset high and to the left on the bulseye but just outside of the central target. I could reliably get the Sun into the eyepiece using the Helio-Pod knowing this.

Target Sunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110713.1610 EDT
Distance
Light Time
1.02 AU
8m 27s
Angular Size31' 31.1"
Altitude46° 18'
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
4.17°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
216.60°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
2.93°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112
CommentsAt low power I saw Group 2050 in the SE quadrant composed of three spots and Group 2051 in the NE quadrant composed of a single spot. At medium power the easternmost trailing spot of group 2050 resolved into two smaller spots.

Solar Dynamics Observatory graphic from SWx Monitor

 Groups SpotsR
North 1 111
South 1 414
Total 1 525
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 1250
Heliographic Latitude-15°
Heliographic Longitude255°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112
Mcintosh SystemCso
This group is composed of a large P-spot with penumbra trailed by three small spots without penumbra.

Helio graphic
Group 1251
Heliographic Latitude53°
Heliographic Longitude262°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112
Mcintosh SystemHhx
I can only see one large spot with penumbra in this group.

Helio graphic
The official sunspot number if 62 but I can't see how they get it that high unless they are counting spots on the back side of the Sun.

NASA graphic from 3D Sun

TargetISS Crosses disk of Sun
ConstellationGem
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110713.1648:42.09 EDT
Transit Begins1648:41.09 EDT
Transit duration0.83s
Separation0.089°
Position Angle199.8°
Angular diameter45.4"
Size109.0m x 73.0m x 27.5m
Satellite at Azimuth266.1°
W
Altitude38.8°
Distance609.1 km
In a clock-face concept, the satellite will seem to move toward 10:09
Angular Velocity35.5'/s

Satellites v 1.51 graphic

CalSky graphic

CalSky graphic
CommentsNot Seen