Sunday, July 17, 2011

17 July 2011

Observing LocationBryant Park
Observational Period0800-0830 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverLight Haze
Clear
Temperature72° F
WindCalm
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
72° F
Humidity73%
Barometric Pressure30.18" Hg
1
KNYC METAR171151Z AUTO VRB03KT 10SM CLR 23/18 A3020 RMK AO2 SLP218 T02280178 10244 20222 51008 TSNO
Feels Likemild

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
InstrumentsCelestron C70 Mini Mak - Charlie
  • Celestron stock 20x-75x zoom eyepiece
  • Kendrick #6004 filter cell with Baader AstroSolar filter film
  • Helio-Pod
  • Celestron tabletop tripod
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Session Objective
  1. sunspot count
  2. ISS across disk of Sun

TargetISS crosses the disk of the Sun
ConstellationGem
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110717.0809 EDT
Time0809:38.48 EDT
Separation0.205°
Position Angle162.8°
Transit duration0.86s
Angular diameter34.5" size=109.0m x 73.0m x 27.5m
Satellite at Azimuth83.9° E
Altitude26.1°
Distance801.9 km
In a clock-face concept, the satellite will seem to move toward 7:47
Angular Velocity22.9'/s

CalSky graphics
CommentsWhen I woke up there were no shadows or bright light in my little sliver of sky so I figured it was cloudy enough that I wouldn't have a chance of seeing a shadow pass behind the clouds. I checked the visible and IR satellite imagery in WeatherBug and they both showed clouds extending well to the east so I didn't hurry getting out of bed. Then all of a sudden the sun appeared. I was thinking the pass wasn't until 38 or 48 minutes past the hour so didn't hurry getting out of the apartment. When I got to the first floor I remembered that I had forgotten to add an event alarm to my Palm and had to ride the elevator back up to check the time to set the alarm at the right time. That is when I discovered that I had 10 minutes to get to the park and get set up. I made it in the nick of time and shortly after my wrist watch alarm went off I thought I saw something whispy with a dragonfly shape appear on the Sun's disk. The two occurrences were in the right relative positions. But I think they were too big to have been the ISS.

Target Sunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20110717.0810 EDT
Distance
Light Time
1.02 AU
8m 27s
Angular Size31' 31.4"
Altitude26° 10'
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
4.48°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
174.70°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
4.33°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112

3D Sun graphic
CommentsInitially I picked up the three most prominent groups and even saw indications of smaller spots next to the primary spot. I was not able to detect penumbra around any of the spots at any magnification. Later I located the group I labeled as 4 in my diagram, which appeared as a smudge. I did not see group 1256.
 Groups SpotsR
North2323
South2323
Total4646
NASA Sunspot Number75
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 1250 (1)
Heliographic Latitude-17°
Heliographic Longitude127°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112
Mcintosh SystemAxx

Helio graphic
Unnumbered Group (2)
Heliographic Latitude35°
Heliographic Longitude125°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112
Mcintosh SystemAxo

Helio graphic
Group 1251 (3)
Heliographic Latitude20°
Heliographic Longitude172°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112
Mcintosh SystemAxx

Helio graphic
Group 1254 (4)
Heliographic Latitude-30°
Heliographic Longitude194°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2112
Mcintosh SystemAxo

Helio graphic
I performed a count based on the images below and came up with a Sunspot Number of 73.

SOHO graphics from SWx Monitor
Unnumbered Group, Group 1250 and Group 1250 (clockwise from top)
Group 1251, Group 1256 and Group 1254 (top to bottom)