| Observing Location | CT |
| Observational Period | 1015-1030 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Scattered Clouds |
| Temperature | 75° F |
| Wind | Calm |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Barometric Pressure | 30.13" Hg Steady |
| Feels Like | Hot |
It feels hot when out in the sun and very warm when in the shade. There are lots of clouds that appear to be partially high cirrus mares tales, some stratus sheets beneath them and some cumulus building out of the sheets – a very confused sky.
|
| Instruments | Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Cnc |
| Category | Solar |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080725.1015 EDT |
| Comments |
Distance Light Time | 1.02 AU 8m 27s |
| Angular Size | 31' 32.7" |
| Altitude | 48.8° |
Heliographic Latitude (B0) | 5.31° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 113.74° |
Parallactic Angle (P) | 8.33° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2072 |
Nothing Seen
There is nothing visible in the SOHO images and only one pore on each side of the Sun in Active Region Explorer.
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| South | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Total | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
|
|---|
|
| Observing Location | PKR |
| Observational Period | 0945-1000 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 79° F |
| Wind | Calm |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Barometric Pressure | 30.06" Hg Steady |
| Feels Like | Mild |
There is a horizontal stripe of cloud (not dissipating contrail) just above the opposing apartment buildings. The humidity doesn’t feel as high as the numbers indicate. Initially I estimated transparency as excellent but downgraded that to good after I started observing. There didin’t appear to be any variation in the air.
|
| Instruments | SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
- CelEDTron Omni 20mm (21x)
- CelEDTron Omni 2x Barlow
I should have brought a binocular with me to help me to locate the stars that I wasn’t able to see naked eye and could not see enough of in the reduced FoV of the scope. |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| 2019 EDT | Sunset Civil Twilight begins |
| 1050 EDT | Civil Twilight ends Nautical Twilight begins |
| 2055 EDT | It was dark enough that Antares was observed scintillating |
| Target | Jupiter |
| Constellation | Sgr |
| Category | Planet |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080725.2120 EDT |
| Comments |
Object Class | Classical Planet |
|---|
| Elongation | 161.9° E |
Distance Light Time (from Earth) | 4.20 AU 34m 54s |
Distance (from Sun) | 5.17 AU |
| Angular Size | 46.9" x 43.9" |
| Magnitude | -2.7 |
Central Meridian I/II | 58°/283° |
| Altitude | 18.6° |
| Moons | Starry Night Starter graphic |
Starry Night Starter graphic
Jupiter is nicely framed by a triangle of stars that are fainter than the moons.
Cartes du Ciel graphic (SAR orientation)
The coma in SAR is bad. The top of Jupiter is salmon and the botton turquoise. Even an untrained observed commented on it unprompted. There is a ghost image of the planet to the lower right. Later in the evening, at high power I detected banding off the western limb.
Ganymede is out to the west of the planet by about 1.5 planet diameters and is by itself. Io is about a planet diameter away from Jupiter to the east followed by Europa about 1.5 diameters more distant and lastly Calisto on the end of the line another 2 diameters farther east. By 2240 EDT Io had moved closer to Calisto – almost the reverse spatial relationship between Jupiter, Io and Calisto as what was initially observed. |
|
| 2129 EDT | Nautical Twilight ends Astronomical Twilight begins |
| Target | M4, Cat’s Eye Cluster, NGC 6121 |
| Constellation | Sco |
| Category | DSO: GCl |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080726.2140 EDT |
| Comments | I can see a faint spot of gray light where the cluster should be. It appears to be bigger than a star but is fairly sharpely resolved – as sharply as the coma of SAR will allow. It is possible that the coma is making it appear larger than it should be, but that is not the case with nearby stars so I think I was seeing the cluster. Planetarium shows one Mag 8.08 star nearby that I did not know about (I forgot to bring the Palm and was dealing only with the Pocket Star Atlas). The cluster is Mag 5.9 but that is spread over 26.3’ ov arc. I am not sure what that does to the relative brightness of the two objects, but still think I was seeing the cluster.
Starry Night Starter graphic |
|---|
|
| 2213 EDT | Astronomical Twilight ends |
| 2345 EDT | Jupiter transits |
| 2349 EDT | Moon rises |
I tried hopping to some of the clusters in Sco and Sgr without luck. Sco is too low on the horizon and the good stuff is behind the apartment buildings. Without Planetarium I wasn’t able to figure out where Jupiter was in Sgr, although it was where I thought it was, and wasn’t seeing enough stars to be sure of my hop through the constellation up to the cover of the teapot. Also every time I would get somewhere and go to the atlas to try and figure out what I was seeing someone would come up and I would end up back on Jupiter.
There were ISS visible passes at 2126 and 2302 EDT but both were too low on the horizon to be seen from here and were only Mag 1.1.
There was a Mag -7 Iridium flare at 2325 EDT and a Mag -1 at 2332 EDT but I didn’t think to look at my pass listings when I got home and missed both of them.
I stopped along the oval to just look and think I might have seen a meteorite streaking across the sky from near Deneb to near Altair. Planetarium does not indicate any active meteor streams in that area now. It also might have been a moth catching area lights under its wings.