Wednesday, July 2, 2008

2 July 2008

Observing LocationHome
Observational Period0230-0300 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature68° F
WindCalm
HumidityHigh
Barometric Pressure29.95" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeMild

NOAA was forecasting partly cloudy but said that it was clear. But I was seeing clouds low to the south but clear overhead. Stars were seen (Pegasus recognized without a star chart).

TransparencyGood
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 40 Flare
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080701.0240 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
I don’t know how I missed something nearly as bright as the moon, but I did. I went out without a timepiece so just looked the whole time I was out there. I was looking in the right place and don’t think the clouds were thick enough to obscure something that bright.
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time0240:22 EDT EDT
Alt.39°38.9°
Az.147°
SSE
146.3°
Mag.-8-6.5
Surface MMA0



Observing LocationUnionport Road at East Tremont Ave, Bronx, NY
On the way up there I stopped off at Mcgraw Ave and Virginia Ave to grab a quick view of Jupiter.
Observational Period0400-0500 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature68° F
WindCalm
HumidityHigh
Barometric Pressure29.96" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCool and Clammy

There are stratus clouds to the NE and E with some cumulus building out of them (or behind them) to the E. The area where the ecliptic intersects the horizon is obscured. The air is extremely moist.

TransparencyGood
Seeing
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular - Charlie Cokin 003 P red photographic filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetJupiter
Constellation
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080702.0400 EDT
CommentsI could make out the disk of the planet but could not pick out any moons with the hand held binocular.
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
AU
Angular Size"x"
Magnitude-
Central Meridian
I/II
°/°
Altitude°
Moons

Starry Night Starter graphic

TargetIridium 21 Flare
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080702.0425 EDT
CommentsFinally an Iridium. It was higher than I thought it should have been based on where Planetarium said it would be.
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time0425:17 EDT0425:18 EDT
Alt.59°58.9°
Az.265°
W
265.5°
Mag.-2-1.8
Surface MMA2

TargetMercury
Constellation
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080702.0430 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
There is cloud in the area and by the time it got up where the clouds appeared to be thinner it wa nearly sunrise and the sky was bright.
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Phase
Elongation°
% Illuminated%
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
ms
Distance
(from Sun)
AU
Angular Size"
Magnitude
Altitude°

Meridian graphic

TargetLast Crescent Moon
Constellation
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080702.0433 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
The clouds where the Moon is supposed to be rising are very dense.
Lunation
Phase
Age
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
,000 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)°
Libration in Latitude°
Libration in Longitude°
Magnitude-
Angular Size'"
Altitude°

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic



Observing LocationVP
Observational Period1100-1115 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature77° F
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityHigh
Barometric Pressure29.99" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeHot and Humid

Clouds are passing in front of the Sun.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080702.1100 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.02 AU
8m 27s
Angular Size31' 30.7"
Altitude59.5°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
3.08°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
57.68°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-1.80°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2071

Nothing Seen

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)