Sunday, July 20, 2008

20 July 2008

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1115-1130 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Haze
Temperature87° F
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.94" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeH3

It is very warm even in the shade. The breeze isn’t doing much to mitigate the temperature.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080720.1115 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.02 AU
8m 27s
Angular Size31' 31.9"
Altitude59.9°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
4.88°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
179.34°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
6.23°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2072

Nothing Seen
Space Weather is still indicating that Group 1000 is there but I can’t even see it on the high resolution SOHO image.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)




Greg Smith graphic from Wikepedia
I have been listening to the cicadas singing and have been wondering if there is any periodicity in their song so I started timing their calls while reading at home.

StartStopDuration
0817:430817:496s
0818:330813:418s
0823:450823:527s
0824:060824:115s
0824:380824:4810s
0825:000825:088s
0825:200825:288s
0825:460825:537s
Average Duration7s

Then it dawned on me that I was only hearing a portion of the calls through the insulated windows (which aren’t doing much to keep the heat outside) so I would be better off making my timings outside. So when I went out to observe the sun I moved to a shaded bench and sat there for 45 minutes making additional timings.

StartStopDuration
1122:091122:145s
1123:011123:076s
1126:591127:076s
1127:261127:337s
1127:351127:394s
1127:451127:527s
1127:521127:586s
1128:001128:077s
1128:551128:594s
1129:341129:406s
1130:091130:156s
1130:471130:514s
1136:401136:466s
Average Duration6s

The results weren’t that much different and I came to the conclusion that the better times probably came from inside the apartment because of the insulated windows. They only let the loudest calls in, which were probably from the closest insects. I suspect that the short calls recorded outside were from more distant insects and I was not hearing the full call.

Regarding frequency of call:
the data do not permit me to make an assessment since I can’t be sure that I am hearing the same insect every time.

Regarding duration of call:
calls lasted about 6.5 seconds.
?
does temperature have an impact on the duration of the call?

Wikipedia reference