Friday, July 18, 2008

18 July 2008

Observing LocationCDLD
Observational Period0945-1000 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Very Hazy
Temperature82° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.04" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeHot

Today will be an H3 day. There is a heat advisory in effect for today and tomorrow. The haze was visible over the sun in the binocular.

TransparencyFair
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080718.0945 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.02 AU
8m 27s
Angular Size31' 31.7"
Altitude44.1°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
4.69°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
206.63°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
5.34°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2072

Nothing Seen

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



For about a week I have been hearing isolated cicadas. There was a news story earlier in the summer saying that there should be a large hatching this year. It also said that they (I am assuming that is each one) can be as loud as a subway train (I am assuming that is an individual car but don’t know whether to assume that is from inside or outside of the car). Today I heard them through the insulated windows of my apartment while I usually don’t hear thunder until the storm is very close. It seems like there are more cicada out as the sound is nearly continuous and when I walk around outside the sound, which is hard to localize, seems to come from more directions.



Observing Location
Observational Period EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature92° F
WindLight breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.96" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeHot and Humid

It feels much more humid than the 42% the NWS is advertising. There are some clouds visible and only Vega and Deneb. Initially I didn’t even see the moons of Jupiter.

TransparencyPoor
SeeingII
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • Celestron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • Celestron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetJupiter
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080718.2105 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation169.4° E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
4.17 AU
34m 42s
Distance
(from Sun)
5.17 AU
Angular Size47.2" x 44.1"
Magnitude-2.7
Central Meridian
I/II
30°/309°
Altitude12° 24’
Moons

Starry Night Starter graphic

There was too much atmosphere to see the moons initially. At 2210 EDT the close moons on both sides of the planet were visible. At 2320 EDT, when clouds covered the Moon I swung the scope over to Jupiter and all of the moons ere visible although Calisto was hard to find.

TargetMoon
ConstellationCap
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080718.2215 EDT
CommentsI didn’t think I was going to find any terminator features since it was so close to the limb and everything in that area is foreshortened and hard to identify but I did find some craters and was surprised at how much I identified over the surface of the Moon in the high noon lighting.

I was thinking that the Moon would be full at 0300 EDT tomorrow morning so was surprised when I looked at it in the scope and found that the NE limb was lumpy and the SW limb smooth – it was full this morning.

Lunation1058
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Age15d 23h 55m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
395,675 km
1.32s
Elongation171.3° W
% Illuminated99.4%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)102.8°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)282.8°
Libration in Latitude2° 24'
Libration in Longitude-3° 47'
Magnitude-12.4
Angular Size30.20'
Altitude10° 30'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

Terminator
In SunlightFeature
Diameter/Length; Class
In Shadow
<<< Mare Humboldtianum
273
 
<<< Belkovich
214
 
<<< Hahn
84
 
<<< Berosus
74
>>>
  Gauss
177
>>>
<<< Neper
137
>>>
<<< La Perouse
77
 
<<< Ansgarius
94
 
<<< Mare Smythii
373
>>>
<<< Humboldt
189
>>>

Grimaldi is very dark and Plato ~18% gray.

Even the rays of Tycho are subdued tonight but they are much more prominent that those of Copernicus.

I am not seeing any indication of Mare Orientale.

There has been very little limb boiling but the scope required constant refocusing.

Also identified:

  • Mare Imbrium
    • Montes Recti (90)
    • Montes Teneriffe (182)
    • Mons Pico (25)
    • Mons Piton (25)
    • Montes Archimedes (163)
      looks very large
    • Montes Spitzenbergen (60)
    • Mons Gruithuisen γ (20)
    • Mons Gruithuisen δ (20)
    • Guithuisen (15)
    • Timocharis (33)
    • Pytheas (20)
    • Archimedes (82)
    • Diophantus (17)
  • Mare Serenitatis
    • Posidonius (95)
    • Hall (35)
    • Kirchoff (24)
  • Mare Tranquilitatis
    • Maskelyne A
    • Montes Secchi (50)
    • Delambre (51)
    • Sabine (30)
    • Sinus Concordae (142)
    • Cauchy (12)
  • Mare Fecunditatis
    • Montes Pyrenaeus (164)
    • Gutenberg (74)
    • Goclenius (72)
    • Columbo (76)