Monday, September 8, 2014

7 September 2014

This morning I went over to Bryant Park to make a pinhole camera picture and took the Mini Mak to stare at the Sun. Tonight I took the Dobsonian back there to stare at the Moon.

This is the first time the Dobsonian has been used in quite some time. I found that the chimney extension tube was not in the focuser so I was unable to use the 2" eyepiece. And the motion of the scope in the rocker box wasn't as smooth as it used to be. It was very stiff and often resulted in overdriving. When I was packing up I noticed that the upper ends of the teflon bearings were darker than they should be and found that they were covered with dirt. Since the scope is stored with the top end of the rocker box pointed down They must have picked up the dirt from the clamshell bearings. I will need to check them during the week to see if the dirt is ground into the teflon or just on the surface.

I had a few people stop and ask to take a look then as I was getting ready to move across 6 Ave prior to the park closing a line developed. One guy whose son wanted to take a look said he thinks he has seen me in the Drip Rock neighborhood. His wife made him tell me his last name since it is Mars. As soon as I got set up across the street clouds started covering the Moon and within 30 minutes it was evident that the observing session had been cancelled.

Tonight the Moon was looking very gray and the Black Cat in the Moon was not as much in evidence. I could see his head. His neck seemed longer than usual and there was no body at its bottom end. I could see the feet.