Friday, September 19, 2014

18 September 2014

I had an alarm set to go out and make an observation tonight and I have a vague recollection of shutting it off and looking at the clock and saying I had some time before I actually needed to get up.  Then I was fully awake and it was time to go out and I was not dressed and the tripod was still set up for macro photography.  I checked MoonMap HD and it said that the terminator was running from the Black Sheep in the Moon's right ear down to the tip of his snout.


MoonMap HD graphic
Without a head the Black Sheep in the Moon's body is just another dark splotch so I am saying he is not visible at this age of the Moon.
Virtual Moon Atlas has a little bit different take on things placing the terminator along the line of the top of his head, through his right eye, and along the top of his left ear, but that makes the left ear disappear and for me that left ear is what calls attention to the animal.

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic