Friday, September 19, 2014

19 September 2014

It looks like Summer has taken early retirement. At 1300 the temperature was still below 60° F.

I went over to Bryant Park to experiment with taking pictures of the Sun with the digiscope adapter. It isn't as easy as it seems. First I found that the FoV would be white even when there was no Sun present. I think I was seeing oblique light rather than the sun. I hadn't zoomed in so was looking at the entire FoV with vignetting around it thinking that I was actually seeing the disk of the Sun and wasn't understanding why I wasn't able to focus it. Then when I got home and was setting the camera up for more macro photography of my carnivorous plant I realized that I had it set to Aperture Priority and f/11 which is why I had to dial in +3 stops of exposure compensation to get a gray image. I am going to have to experiment a lot more before the eclipse next month but think I need to start with terrestrial objects and once I figure out the digiscoping with them move up to the Sun.