Monday, September 15, 2014

15 September 2014

When I went out to observe the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter a while back I had taken my digital camera and digiscope adapter to try to get better pictures of the event than I was anticipating getting with the 3.5x telephoto conversion lens.  But I found that I had forgotten how the adapter works and every time I turned the camera on its lens rammed into the back of the telescope eyepiece and the camera shut off immediately.

I contacted CNC Supply Inc who are the Us distributors of the product and they sent be a copy of the instrucructions.  It appears I was attaaching the T adapter to the eyepiece barrel rather than to the notch where the eye cup normally sits.  So, for the record, here is a summary of the instructions for using the adapter with my Canon G1 X and Celestron C70 Mini Make:

  1. Unscrew and remove the zoom eyepiece from the telescope
  2. Screw the 1.25" eyepiece adapter onto the threads where the lens cover normally threads
  3. Remove the eye cup from the lens
  4. Remove the T adapter from the front of the Digi-Kit adapter
  5. Place the T adapter over the back of the eyepiece, printing facing the eyepiece, and screw the three set screws in its margin into the groove where the eye cup was trying to keep the eyepiece centered in the T adapter
  6. Screw the T adapter with attached eyepiece into the front of the Digi-Kit adapter
  7. Remove any filters and filter rings from the G1 X
  8. Remove the ring from around the base of the G1 X lens
  9. Attach the Digi-Kit to the G1 X
  10. Attach the eyepiece to the telescope's 1.25" eyepiece adapter
  11. If possible, do not extend the tripod center post
  12. Turn the camera on and set it to Macro mode
  13. Zoom to reduce vignetting
  14. Focus the telescope
  15. Use a "cable release" to make the exposure