Saturday, September 13, 2014

12 September 2014

I was out in Coney Island for an aquarium society meeting tonight and took the Mini Mak with me to try to observe Rhea occulting SAO 159034.  I set up on the boardwalk adjacent to the NY Aquarium's Education Building a bit early and it was a good thing I did.  It took a long time to weed Saturn out of all the planes arriving at and departing from EWR.  Once I identified it Saturn was east to see but that is all.  No SAO 159034, no Titan, and definitely no Rhea. There was a low deck of stratus clouds out in that direction that weren't helping me any but I think, at least for my eyes, more than the 60mm S&T was recommending was required.


Aardman Animation, Ltd, graphic
When I got home and got the telescope out of my packpack I went down to the corner of 6 Ave and 43 St to do a quick check on the Moon.  Both the Black Cat in the Moon and the Black Sheep in the Moon are still visible.