| Observing Location | White Plains Road at Cross Bronx Expressway (NW corner), Bronx, NY |
| Observational Period | 0500-0545 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Scattered Clouds |
| Temperature | 31°F |
| Wind | Gentle Breeze gusting to Fresh Breeze |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Barometric Pressure | 29.89" Hg Rising |
| Feels Like | Very cold Wind Chill 22°F |
There is still ponded water in the low spots, left over from yesterday’s heavy rain, and it is freezing.
Strong winds are making it uncomfortable to be standing around. My hands are freezing in the light gloves I am using to keep from working up more blisters on my crutches.
|
| Instruments | Naked-eye - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Iridium 45 Flare |
| Constellation | Dra |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080309.0514 EDT |
| Comments | The satellite appeared at 0515:## at Az. ~10deg; M and subsequently brightened as it shone for ~15s as it fell vertically. This is late from the schedule and makes it look like both Heavens Above and CalSky are reporting azimuths in degrees magnetic which does not agree with my last observation.
| | Heavens-Above | CalSky |
| Alt. | 13° | 13.1° |
| Az. | 8° N | 8.4° N |
| Mag. | -5 | -3.9 |
|
|---|
|
| Target | ISS Visible Pass |
| Constellation | |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080309.0535 EDT |
| Comments | Not seen
I was dividing my attention between ISS and Iridium 20 but spent more time looking for the Iridium since it was the brighter object and ISS was low and should have appeared right next to a street light then dimmed as it descended to the right
| | | Starts | Max. Alt. | Ends |
H A e b a o v v e e n s | Time | 0535:54 EDT | 0535:54 EDT | 0537:13 EDT |
| Alt. | 15° | 15° | 10° |
| Az. | N | N | NNE |
| Mag. | 0.1 |
C a l S k y | Time | 0535:58 EDT | EDT | 0539:39 EDT |
| Alt. | 15.1° | ° | horizon° |
| Az. | 0.0° N | ° | 46.2° NE |
| Mag. | -1.8 | | 1.4 |
|
|---|
|
| Target | Iridium 20 Flare |
| Constellation | Vir |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080309.0536 EDT |
| Comments | Not Seen
This flare was not listed on Heavens Above and I didn’t see it in the sky. There were dense fair weather cumulus clouds passing through that area at the time that occluded Spica as they passed by. I also underestimated the elevation. I was concentrating my attention around Spica when I should have been looking half way between Spica and Arcturus. If there weren’t clouds covering it up I should have picked up a Mag. -2 flare with peripheral vision since it was only ~18° away. It appears that I am having trouble estimating where the horizon is when I can’t see it. I have a clinometer built into my Brunton Eclipse compass but it is difficult to use. I wonder if there is a direct-reading unit power clinometer somewhere out there. I do have a cheap hand level similar to the CTS/Berg hand level . If I can find where I have put it it may be of some help if I have enough hands to use it.
| Alt. | 47.3° |
| Az. | 216.5° |
| Mag. | -1.9 |
|
|---|
|
| Target | Jupiter |
| Constellation | Sgr |
| Category | Planet |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080309.0540 EDT |
| Comments |
Object Class | Classical Planet |
|---|
| Elongation | 62.2° W |
Distance Light Time (from Earth) | 5.61 AU 46m 41s |
Distance (from Sun) | 5.22 AU |
| Angular Size | 35.1"x32.8" |
| Magnitude | -2.0 |
Central Meridian I/II | 359°/203° |
| Altitude | 10.8° |
| Moons | Starry Night Starter graphic |
I suspected a planet but didn’t know which one. I didn’t see anything near it so it was hard to attempt a field ID from memory.
|
|
| 0546 EDT | Astronomical Twilight begins |
| 0618 EDT | Astronomical Twilight ends Nautical Twilight begins |
| 0650 EDT | Nautical Twilight ends Civil Twilight begins |
| 0717 EDT | Civil Twilight ends Sunrise |
| 0759 EST | Moonrise |
| Observing Location | PSC |
| Observational Period | 1400-1500 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 38°F |
| Wind | Light Breeze gusting to Moderate Breeze |
| Humidity | Low |
| Barometric Pressure | 30.08" Hg Rising |
| Feels Like | Cold Wind Chill 30°F |
| Transparency | Excellent |
| Seeing | II |
|---|
|
| Instruments | SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
- CelEDTron Omni 20mm (21x)
- CelEDTron Omni 2x Barlow
- Baader AstroSolar filter film
|
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Aqr |
| Category | Solar |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080309.1415 EDT |
| Comments |
Distance Light Time | 0.993 AU 8m 16s |
| Angular Size | 32’ 15.6" |
| Altitude | 43.1° |
Heliographic Latitude (B0) | -7.23° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 135.65° |
Parallactic Angle (P) | -23.55° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2067 |
No spots seen
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| South | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Total | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
|
|---|
|
I had come out to try to observe a satellite crossing the disk of the Sun but didn’t see it. After I got all packed up I checked my watch and found that I was an hour early for the event. Rather than set up on the oval where I might run into problems with the Sun setting into the buildings I decided to go down around White Plains Road where I have a better western horizon.
| Observing Location | Virginia Ave, McGraw Ave/Wood Road, Bronx, NY |
| Observational Period | 1500-1600 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 41°F |
| Wind | Moderate Breeze gusting to Strong Breeze |
| Humidity | Low |
| Barometric Pressure | 30.11" Hg Rising |
| Feels Like | Very cold Wind Chill 31°F |
I should have gone back to PSC and found a place there where the sun would be visible as it set. It was much more windy here and very uncomfortable. I was afraid the gusts would tip the telescope over and they did tear the shroud off of it a couple of times. There was constant boiling on the limb and the scope was moving around in the wind as well.
| Transparency | Excellent |
| Seeing | III |
|---|
|
| Instruments | SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
- CelEDTron Omni 20mm (21x)
- CelEDTron Omni 2x Barlow
- Baader AstroSolar filter film
|
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | UARS crosses disk of Sun |
| Constellation | Sgr |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080309.1549:17.7 EDT ±4.7s |
| Comments |
Not Seen
This satellite was supposed to be 2.7” in diameter so well within my scopes resolving power. The pass duration was 1.03s. It was supposed to move from PA216.9° to 8:57 on the clock face. I interpret that to be from the 12:00 to 3:00 position in my scope. Between the boiling and the scope being buffeted by the wind I am not surprised that I didn’t see anything. |
|---|
|