Saturday, March 22, 2008

22 March 2008

I set the alarm for early this morning to get up and see Jules Verne and ISS but didn't get up when I should have. Just as the pass was beginning I looked out the kitchen window and it was cloudy anyway. It looks like the weather will be better tomorrow, but Jules Verne will be dimmer then also.
Observing LocationBenedict Ave & Olmstead Ave, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1015-1030 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature38°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure29.94" Hg
Feels LikeCool

TransparencyFair
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationPsc
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080322.1015 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.997 AU
8m 17s
Angular Size32' 08.9"
Altitude35.5°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-6.95°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
326.49°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-25.49°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
20.68

Nothing seen

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

NASA has updated their prediction for the new sunspot cycle. They are showing us in a trough between the last cycle (23) and the next one (24)




Observing LocationMetOval
Observational Period2200-2300 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature40°F
WindCalm
gusting to
Light Breeze
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.00" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCool

It was very pleasant out although my hands were getting cold by the end of the hour.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingII
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • CelEDTron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • CelEDTron Omni 2x Barlow
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetUSA 182/Lacrosse crosses the disk of the Moon
ConstellationVir
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080322.2215 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
I don’t think I saw the satellite but at ~2252 EDT I did see a small, indistinct shadow dart across the Moon from around Aristoteles toward Copernicus.
Time2249:48.37 EDT
Duration1.2s
Diameter2.5"
Moves to9:00
Distance to track center0.08 km
Path Width33.5 km

Lunation
Phase
Age
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
397,217 km
1.32s
Elongation164.5° W
% Illuminated98.3%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)102.1°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)282.1°
Libration in Latitude5° 36'
Libration in Longitude3° 41'
Magnitude-12.3
Angular Size30.08'
Altitude17° 53'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

Terminator
In SunlightFeatureIn Shadow
<<< Mare Humboldtianum >>>
<<< Endymium 
<<< Gauss >>>
<<< Berosus 
<<< Hahn 
<<< Alhazen 
<<< Hansen 
<<< Condorcer 
<<< Langrenus 
<<< Barkla 
<<< Kapteyen 
<<< Kastner >>>
<<< Ansgarius 
<<< Hectares 
<’<< Vales Rheta >>>

  • I detected texture in the center of Petavius – its central peak – that makes it look like concentric craters
  • I still see some lumpiness on the limb at Mare Orientale
  • There are lots of rays still visible emanating from both Tycho and Copernicus
  • Palus Somni and Proclus are prominent
  • Aristarchus is chalky white
  • Tycho, Copernicus, Menelaus and Manilius appear bright
  • Grimaldi is the only really dark feature

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080322.2230 EDT
CommentsI saw a triangle of bright stars that didn’t look familiar. The lower left point of the triangle was actually Saturn next to Regulus. It was so clear that I could see all of the stars of the head of Leo. I didn’t try getting the scope onto Saturn.

Starry Night Starter graphic
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation150.2° E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
8.41 AU
1h 10m
Distance
(from Sun)
9.29 AU
Angular Size19.7"x17.5"
Ring
Angular
Size
44.6"x7.25"
Ring
Inclination
9.4°
Magnitude0.3
Altitude59.1°

Starry Night Starter graphic

TargetMars
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080322.2230 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation94° E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
1.25 AU
10m 24s
Distance
(from Sun)
1.65 AU
Angular Size7.48"
Magnitude0.7
Central Meridian 160°
Altitude48.6°
Mars appeared bright off the left hip of Castor.

Starry Night Starter graphic