Monday, March 3, 2008

3 March 2008

Observing LocationMcGraw Ave @ Virginia Ave, Bronx, NY
Observational Period0515-0530 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature38°F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.32" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCold

I think it was clear since I was seeing stars over most of the sky, but I didn’t see the kite stars of Boo so there was probably some haze up there.

TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

0456 ESTAstronomical Twilight begins

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080303.0526 EST
CommentsThe ISS appeared to be elongated along its axis of travel like a hyphen that was dimmer in the center than at the extents.

first sighted0526 EST
applus Arcturus0527:45 EST
dimming0529:0# EST
lost behind buildings0529:55 EST

StartTime0526:22 EST0526:25 EST
Alt.18°18.8°
Az.SW234.8°
SW
Mag. -2.9
Max. Alt.Time0528:21 EST0528:21 EST
Alt.86°86.2 
Az.NW323.6°
NW
Mag.-2.5-4.5
applus ArcturusTime 0527:49.95 EST
EndsTime0531:15 EST0533:15 EST
Alt.10°horizon
Az.NE53.9°
NE
Mag. 1.4

0527 ESTAstronomical Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins
0559 ESTNautical Twilight ends
Civil Twilight begins
0627 ESTCivil Twilight ends
Sunrise



It appears that Endeavour is still on track for its scheduled very early Tuesday morning, 11Mar08, launch. I checked the NSAS web sight and can't find a Press Kit there yet but I did come up with a few mission briefing graphics that are interesting.

This is the current configuration of the ISS.

Here is a view of Endeavour's payload bay. It appears that we are going to be flying a lot of empty space. Most of the payload's mass appears to be towards the aft end of the payload bay.

One of the mission objectives will be the installation of the Dextre grappling fixture on the end of the ISS' Canadarm.

This is the target configuration for the end of the mission. Mission objectives are indicated by arrows.