Monday, March 31, 2008

30 March 2008

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1130-1200 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature37°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.72" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeCold
Wind Chill 31°F

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingIII
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • CelEDTron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • CelEDTron Omni 2x Barlow
  • w/Baader AstroSolar filter film
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationPsc
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080330.1145 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.999 AU
8m 18s
Angular Size32' 04.4"
Altitude50.3°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-6.60°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
220.15°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-26.11°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
20.68

I saw all three groups again today but only through the telescope.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South3 6 36
Total3 6 36
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 987
The group appears as a gray smudge. It looks like two spots to me.
Heliographic Latitude -1°
Heliographic Longitude 266°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2068
Mcintosh SystemBxx
Group 988
The predominant spot is dark with a broad penumbra. There are small spots above it and behind it against the penumbra.
Heliographic Latitude -2°
Heliographic Longitude 240°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2068
Mcintosh SystemCho
Group 989
This is a very indistinct group and was only seen at low power and at times of good seeing.
Heliographic Latitude -2°
Heliographic Longitude 208°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2068
Mcintosh SystemAxx



Observing LocationMcGraw Ave between Pugsley Ave and Metropolitan Ave, Bronx, NY
Lat.: 40° 50' 05.27"
Long.: -73° 51' 32.83"
Observational Period2045-2100 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature38°F
WindLight Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.69" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeCold
Wind Chill 31°F

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

I went out for one satellite and got three on the same track one behind the other. This is usually spay satellites like Lacrosse that are used for change detection but at least the last one in this case was an Iridium communications satellite.

CalSky lists three satellites passing on the same track at 2056 (NOSS 3-3 (A), NOSS 3-3 (B), and NOSS 3-3 (E), and a Cosmos and a Lacrosse that followed somewhat similar tracks at 2045 and 2053 respectively.

I am not sure which of these satellites I saw, but I know I saw an extremely bright flare.

TargetIridium 91 Flare
ConstellationUms, Leo
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080330.2053 EDT
CommentsThis was like a visible pass and a flare combined. I thought when the second satellite came through at about the right time that I had been skunked because CalSky says this is Iridium 90 and that it is a spare satellite and may not flare when and where they predict it or at the magnitude they predict, but it flared as it approached Zosma, the haunch of Leo and faded before reaching 60 Leo. The flare was long and bright and the fade was very rapid and disappearance occurred down below the belly of Leo between M65 abd M105.
 Heavens AboveCalSky
Alt.53°53.2
Az.111°
ESE
111.1
ESE
Mag.-8-7.0