Wednesday, March 26, 2008

26 March 2008

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1145-1215 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverBroken
Temperature55°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.98" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeVery mild

It was clear this morning but has now clouded over getting ready for a few days of rain. I had to wait for gaps in the cloud to get a sighting of the Sun.

TransparencyPoor
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationPsc
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080326.1145 EDT
CommentsWhen there are spots there are lots of them. I can see two groups and SOHO sees a third that is right on the eastern limb that I can’t see yet. They say that Cycle 24 has already begun but that the polarization of these spots indicates that they belong to Cycle 23.
Distance
Light Time
0.998 AU
8m 18s
Angular Size32' 06.7"
Altitude50°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-6.79°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
227.72°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-25.85°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2068

I initially assessed these groups to be north of the equator but on looking at Active Region Explorer found that they were actually to the south.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South2 4 24
Total2 4 24
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

Group 988
This group looks to me like two faint smudges. They are about equal in size.
Heliographic Latitude -11°
Heliographic Longitude 249°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
1068
Mcintosh SystemBxo
Group 989
The P spot of this group is the largest and blackest of the spots that I can see. The F spot is smaller than either of the spots of Group 988.
Heliographic Latitude -12°
Heliographic Longitude 225°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2068
Mcintosh SystemBxo
It has been so long since I have made a sunspot entry in the blog that I had forgotten where the text goes in the template.



Observing LocationWhite Plains Road over the Cross Bronx Expressway, Bronx, NY
Observational Period2010-2030 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverIsolated
Temperature56°
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.03" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeWarm

It is nearly 60° an hour after sunset and they are predicting snow for tomorrow night and Friday.

TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetATV Jules Verne Visible Pass
ConstellationLep, CMa, Mon, CMi, Cnc, Leo, LMi, UMA, CVn
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080326.2021 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
I may have seen it but misidentified it as an airplane as there were lots of planes taking off from LGA or EWR that were flying through that area.
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time2021:45 EDT2024:31 EDT2025:26 EDT
Alt.10°48°32°
Az.SWSEE
Mag-0.2

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation Lep, CMa, Mon, CMi, Cnc, Leo, LMi, UMA, CVn
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080326.2025 EDT
CommentsISS appeared belor Orion and passed above Mirzam and Sirius (CMa), above Gomesa and Procyon (CMi), below Castor, Pollux and Saturn then above Zosma (Leo), and disappeared as it approached Alkaid (UMa).
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time2025:56 EDT2028:43 EDT2029:29 EDT
Alt.10°54°38°
Az.SWSEE
Mag-2.3
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time2024:05 EDT2028:53 EDT2029:46 EDT
Alt.horizon54.0°35.2°
Az.223.1°
SW
140.1°
SE
82.2°
E
Mag0.3-4.4-3.9
While waiting I identified Mars and Saturn but was not able to fine M45.