Saturday, March 22, 2008

21 March 2008

Observing LocationHome
Observational Period0515-0530 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature36°F
Wind17 MPH
gusting to
28 MPH
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.96" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeWind Chill 26-23°F

I am indoors again so the feel of the weather, especially the wind chill, are irrelevant

Transparency
SeeingClear
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
0525 EDTAstronomical Twilight begins

TargetISS/STS-123 Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080321.0522 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
I can’t see high enough into the celestial sphere from my kitchen window. It looks like it must have popped out and faded quickly. I moved to the bedroom where I saw one star but didn’t pick up the satellite.
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n &nbst
s  
Time 0522:13 EDT0522: 13 EDT0525:01 EDT
Alt.84°84°10°
Az.ESEESESE
Mag-2.5
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time0522:02 EDT0522:08 EDT0526:59 EDT
Alt.83.1°88.6°horizon
Az.318.6°
NW
36.6°
NE
127.1°
SE
Mag-4.6-4.60.5
0558 EDTAstronomical Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins
0630 EDTNautical Twilight ends
Civil Twilight begins
0657 EDTCivil Twilight ends
Sunrise



Observing LocationEast Tremont Ave @ Unionport Rd, Bronx, NY
Lat.: 40° 50 28.51
Long.: 73° 51 42.30
Observational Period2305-2335 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered (Broken?) Clouds
Temperature40°F
Wind7 MPH
gusting to
16 MPH
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.03" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeCool & Blustery

I was leaning up against a street lamp pole but still could not stand steady in the gusty wind.

Transparency
SeeingClear
InstrumentsGolden Gate 7x35 binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetISS Occults Capella
ConstellationAur
CategoryOccultation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080321.2321 EDT
CommentsEarlier in the week CalSky predicted that the ISS might occult Capella tonight at 2321:27.84 EDT. That prediction has since been removed from their listings of Sun and Moon Crossing Satellites but I went out just in case. I didn't see any occultation by anything but clouds.

TargetMoon
ConstellationVir
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080321.2335 EDT
Comments
Lunation1054
PhaseFull
Full + 8h 50m
Age14d 10h 20m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
392,585 km
1.31s
Elongation174.6° W
% Illuminated99.9%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)90.6°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)270.6°
Libration in Latitude4° 44'
Libration in Longitude4° 11'
Magnitude-12.6
Angular Size30.44'
Altitude38° 36'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

With the hand held binocular I didn’t have a very steady view and was not able to detect any texture on the western limb near Mare Crisium.

The moon was in haze or light cloud and had a ring around it.