Saturday, March 22, 2008

18 March 2008

Observing LocationJacobi Hospital, Bronx, NY
Observational Period0530-0545 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature37°F
Wind8 MPH
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.48" Hg
Falling
Feels Like

I am in my constant 72° hospital room so outside conditions are irrelevant.

It appeared clear but just before sunrise there was a stripe of cloud across the sky. At sunrise the Sun was sandwiched between the horizon and a deck of overcast stratus.

TransparencyGood
Seeing I
Instruments Naked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080318.0530 EDT
CommentsNot Seen I had an old listing of visible passes in my notebook and used it to search for ISS this morning. It turns out that that data is out of date and I stopped looking before the pass began.

I had no idea about directions and guessed at the orientation of Pelham Parkway and that the radio antenna tower on High Island was to the East. I was close since the tower was NNE from here.

 StartsMax. Alt.Ends
Time0536 EDT EDT0524 EDT
Alt.17°17°10°
Az.NNENNEENE
Mag0.4

The updated pass data are

 StartsMax. Alt.Ends
Time0547 EDT0549 EDT0554 EDT
Alt.11.7°31.5°horizon
Az.324.5°
N
28.5°
NNE
105.6°
ESE
Mag-2.0-2.51.8

0531 EDTAstronomical Twilight begins
0603 EDTAstronomical Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins
0635 EDTNautical twilight ends
Civil twilight begins
0702 EDTCivil Twilight ends
Sunrise



Observing LocationJacobi Hospital, Pelham Parkway S near Eastchester Rd, Bronx, NY
Lat.: 40° 51' 23.13"
Long.: 73° 50' 47.47"
Observational Period1000-1015 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature35°F
Wind17 MPH
gusting to
22 MPH
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.47" Hg
Rising
Feels Like

I am in my constant 72° hospital room so outside conditions are irrelevant.

I
TransparencyExcellent
Seeing
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationPsc
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080317.1000 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.995 AU
8m 17s
Angular Size32' 11.6"
Altitude31.3°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-7.11°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
32.55°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-24.86°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2067

Nothing Seen

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationJacobi Hospital, Bronx, NY
I am looking through dirty, double-glazed windows with light coming from behind me that I can’t control so am having trouble seeing anything outside.
Observational Period1845-1900 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature46°F
Wind13 MPH
HumidityLowd>
Barometric Pressure30.476 Hg
Rising
Feels Like
There is haze on the horizon up to ~5-10°.
I am in my constant 72° hospital room so outside conditions are irrelevant.

I
TransparencyExcellent
Seeing
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationCnc
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080318.1845
Comments
Lunation1054>
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age10d 5h 30m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
382,507 km
1.26s
Elongation134.3° E
% Illuminated91.7%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)51.5°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)231.5°
Libration in Latitude00° 04'
Libration in Longitude5° 50'
Magnitude-11.6
Angular Size31.24'
Altitude28.0°

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

Terminator
In ShadowFeatureIn Sunlight
  Sinus Iridum >>>
  Mare Imbrium >>>
<<< Aristarchus 
  Gassendi >>>
<<< Grimaldi 
<<< Oceanus Procelarum >>>
  Schiller >>>

There is no earthshine.
I can see the rays of Tycho.
I don’t detect any libration features on the western limb.