Tuesday, March 25, 2008

24 March 2008

Observing LocationMetOval
Observational Period2045-2130 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature44°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.22" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCool

The weather was saying partly cloudy at Central Park so I went out. There were times when the seeing got soft due to light cloud passing in front of Sirius, but I could always see the star.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetISS may occult Sirius
ConstellationCMa
CategoryOccultation; Satellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080324.2117 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
CalSky alerted me to this event and advised that MetOval was right on the centerline (map) so I gave it a try. This was not an ISS visible pass, the station was in earth’s shadow. Given the configuration of ISS I was expecting some twinkling or maybe dimming like a graze of a double star. The event was to take place at 2117:51.89 EDT. I watched from 2115 until 2121 EDT and didn’t see anything

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080324.2050 EDT
CommentsSaturn is a creamy, butter yellow and not as bright as Mars in the binocular although brighter naked-eye.
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation148.1° E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
8.49 AU
21h 43.1m
Distance
(from Sun)
9.29 AU
Angular Size19.6"x17.5"
Ring
Angular
Size
44.5"x7.28"
Ring
Inclination
9.4°
Magnitude0.3
Altitude49°

Starry Night Starter graphic

TargetMars
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080324.2100 EDT
CommentsMars, near Castor’s hip, is a bright, transparent orange in color.
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation92.9°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
1.27 AU
10m 34s
Distance
(from Sun)
1.65 AU
Angular Size7.37"
Magnitude0.7
Central Meridian 119°
Altitude64.4°

The Hyades looks nice next to Aldeberan, but the Pleiades are very subdued with only the brightest stars visible in the binocular and not seen at all naked-eye.