Thursday, January 31, 2008

31 January 2008

I broke my leg on the evening of the 29th and am in a splint and on crutches for the next eight weeks. This is going to put a dent in my observing as I can't put weight on the leg or bend it so it will be difficult to get to an eyepiece even if I could carry the scope out. I got all dressed up tonight, which tool a lot longer than I had expected, and went out to observe the ISS and an Iridium flare. After I was all dressed I found that the ISS pass had been last night which was just as well because by then I was too late to see it if it had been tonight. I hobbled up to PSC and found that I had to stop every 10-20 hobbles so it tool a while to get there but I was in plenty of time for the Iridium flare. I think satellites are about the only thing I will be observing for a while.

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1800-1830 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverIsolated Clouds
Temperature37°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.46" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCold

TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 46 Flare
ConstellationAur
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080131.1916 EST
CommentsNot Seen
???

Alt.70.3°
Az.106.2°
Mag.-4.1
The flare should have been near χ Aur (Mag. 4.71), which I did not see, and to the upper left of β Tau (Mag. 1.66) and Mars (Mag. -0.6), both of which were easily visible as were the Kids (Mag. 3.03-3.69). I was hoping it would be near mars to give a brightness estimate so was aware of what was going on around there and saw nothing. I don’t know what happened to it.



Sunspots Observed

The Sun has finally developed some spots so I have done a bit of observing when the weather was conducive to that activity.

Observing Hours for the Year 2008

 DayNightTotal
HoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvg
Jan2.2590.252.7550.555.00130.38
TOTAL 2.2590.252.7550.555.00130.38