Thursday, January 7, 2010

7 January 2010

Observing LocationUnion Square
Observational Period1700-1730 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverIsolated
Temperature36° F
WindGentle Breeze
Wind Chill Effect29° F
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.88" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeChilly

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100107.1719 EST
Comments
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time1721:27 EST1724:09 EST1726:40 EST
Alt.10°40°11°
Az.SSWSEENE
Mag-2.6
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time1719:24 EST1724:01 EST1726:45 EST
Alt.horizon39.6°10.9°
Az.217.3°
SW
138.3°
SE
67.6°
ENE
Mag1.8-2.7-2.3
I picked up the satellite in Manhattan south or maybe even a little east of there. It was above the skyline by a degree or two when I first saw it and was about as bright as it ever got. It tracked up 4 Ave appearing to move to the east a bit and disappeared behind the tower of the Union Square Hotel. As it approached the hotel it seemed to dim a little but was still very bright when it disappeared from my view.

There was another bright flare tonight just before 1900 EST but it was low on the horizon so I didn't stay out for it.

I think I have identified the problem I have been having with the predictions from CalSky. None of the predictions I had for today agreed with what Heavens Above was showing and I was not able to recreate them when I made a new search. I suspect that I got sloppy when I made my search earlier in the week and did not set the time to EST. CalSky will automatically set the time based on your location but it shows times in UT rather than your local time zone. This is the most likely scenario I have been able to come up with for the erroneous predictions.