Wednesday, January 6, 2010

6 January 2010

Observing LocationBryant Park
Observational Period1720-1845 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature30° F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
Wind Chill Effect21° F
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.73" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCold and a little raw

TransparencyFair
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
1642 EST
Sunset
Civil Twilight begins
1713 EST
Civil Twilignt ends
Nautical Twilight begins

TargetIridium 61 Flare
ConstellationUMa
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100106.1739 EST
Comments Not Seen
If the flare was visible at all it would have been in a small sliver of sky above 6 Ave beside the buildings of Rockefeller Center. I didn’t expect to see it and wasn’t disappointed.
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time EST1739:41 EST
Alt.°28.8°
Az.°26.2°
NNE
Mag.0.5
Surface solar panels

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100106.1743 EST
Comments Not Seen
I thought I might catch the ISS passing through some unobstructed sky on both sides of the Empire State Building but didn’t see anything.

The only pass prediction I had with me was the one from CalSky which does not in any way agree with the one from Heavens Above. It is also too close in time to the second pass listed in the Heavens Above predictions. I have been back to CalSky and can not reproduce this pass prediction for either time. There is an obvious error somewhere (either at CalSky or in my copying and pasting the prediction into my calendar) and I was too late to see the real pass – the one listed on Heavens Above.

  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time1701:04 EST1702:27 EST1703:50 EST
Alt.10°13°10°
Az.SSESEESE
Mag-1.0
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time1743:28 EST1748:11 EST1749:33 EST
Alt.horizon36.3°21.8
Az.215.5°
SW
137.7°
SE/td>
84.1°
E
Mag1.4-3.7-3.2
1747 EST
Nautical Twilight ends
Astronomical Twilight begins

TargetIridium 51 Flare
ConstellationCam
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
201001061744 EST
CommentsNot Seen
I thought that I might have a little better chance at this one since it was higher and brighter although farther west, but didn’t see anything.
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time EST1744:45 EST
Alt.°31.4°
Az.23.6°
NNE
Mag.-2.8
Surface solar panels

TargetIridium 19 Flare
ConstellationUMa
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100106.1748 EST
CommentsNot Attempted
Given that I hadn’t seen the previous and much brighter flare and that this one also occurred during the brighter ISS pass I opted to concentrate on the ISS.
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time EST1748:36 EST
Alt.°33.6
Az.19.2°
NNE
Mag.0.7
Surface solar panels
1820 EST
Astronomical Twilight ends

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100106.1834 EST
CommentsNot Seen
This pass was shorter than the previous one but I thought I might have a little better chance of seeing it since the western skyline is a little more open but I saw nothing.

The only listing I have for this event is from a Heavens Above printout on 28Dec09. I checked CalSky on Monday or Tuesday but saw an entry in my calendar for the right time so didn’t copy anything I saw on the site.

  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time1834:20 EST1836:38 EST1836:38 EST
Alt.10°45°45°
Az.WSWWNWWNW
Mag-2.3
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time1832:40 EST1837:01 EST1837:01 EST
Alt.horizon46.0°46.0°
Az.282.4°
WSW
287.5°WNW
/td>
287.5°
WNW
Mag2.2-3.3-3.3