Monday, January 11, 2010

11 January 2009

Marcos has expressed an interest in astronomy and was looking at telescopes. I tried to steer him to a good binocular for his first optics and suggested that he at least wait on a telescope until he has been to a star party and had a chance to look at and through various scopes and seen how difficult it can be to point it at something until you know the sky and have developed the requisite skill. As something of interest to contrast with the expensive scopes on the market I pointed out the Galileoscope. He decided that that would be his first scope.
Galileoscope.org graphic

I like the idea of the Galileoscope because it is so basic and inexpensive. And it is a higher quality instrument than the one Galileo used to discover the moons of Jupiter and craters on the Moon. It may not perform as well as Peter’s 6” Tac but I like the idea of a minimal piece of equipment being able to show the night sky to advantage.

Marcos sent me a link to Celestial Journeys which includes some exploration another astronomer is making with the scope. Reading this is getting me cranked about the Galileoscope again. Marcos has offered to let me borrow his and I might take him up on that some time, or get him to bring it to Central Park to observe with Peter and me, before I spring for one.