Thursday, January 21, 2010

21 January 2010

Observing LocationJacob K Javits Convention Center
Observational Period1715-1745 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature 38° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.16" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeMild

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100121.1736 EST
Comments
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time EST EST EST
Alt.°°°
Az.
Mag
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time1736:23 EST1741:07 EST1743:44 EST
Alt.horizon31.2°10.0°
Az.311.6°
NW
28.6°
NNE
94.6°
E
Mag0.3-3.6-2.2
I saw it appear from behind Silver Towers right about the time of predicted culmination. It passed over 11 Ave and down 42 St before disappearing behind another tall, new apartment building on 10 Ave and 38 St. After 30-60 seconds it came from behind that building and began to diminish in brightness a little before setting into other buildings farther south.



Observing LocationJacob K Javits Convention Center
Observational Period1815-11830 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature 38° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.16" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeMild

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 10 Flare
ConstellationCam
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20101021.1829 EST
Comments
33.9°
NE
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time 1829:19 EST
Alt. 50.4°
Az. 
Mag. -7.1
Surface MMA2
I may or may not have seen this one. I did see a bright flare from a satellite falling along Manhattan north bit it appeared both too early and too high (although I always estimate altitudes incorrectly)
While waiting for this flare I also saw a very faint satellite flying horizontally to the south beneath Gemini..