Wednesday, January 13, 2010

13 January 2009

Observing LocationBryant Park
Observational Period1645-1715 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverBroken
Central Park was reporting clear
Temperature35° F
WindLight Breeze
Wind Chill Effect30° F
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.13" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeRaw

TransparencyNone
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 19 Flare
ConstellationAnd
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100113.1713 EST
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time1713:22 EST1713:23 EST
Alt.71°70.9°
Az.56°
NE
55.4°
NE
Mag.-8-7.4
Surface MMA2
CommentsNot Seen
I was working at the library when a calendar alarm went off warning of a Mag. -8 flare and I immediately packed up to get up to Bryant Park to observe it not thinking that I had recently checked the satellite image and knew it was very cloudy. As long as I was all shut down and checked for stolen library materials I continued up to the park to see if a Mag. -8 would show through heavy overcast. It didn’t, at least not where I was looking. But then I am often not looking where I need to be when I can’t see the background stars.