Friday, January 29, 2010

29 January 2010

Observing LocationDrip Rock
Observational Period2000-2030 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverIsolated
Temperature20° F
WindGentle Breeze
Wind Chill Effect9° F
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.28" Hg
Feels LikeBrass monkey weather

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingExcellent
InstrumentsWest Marine 7x50 Raiatea binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

I had three goals for tonight:

  1. to see Mars and M44 and the Moon and M44;
  2. to try to split some double stars; and
  3. not to freeze my tukhus off.

Almost immediately the Palm reported a low battery although it had just come off the charger and was fully charged and the battery capacity meter is reading 95%. So I had nothing to take notes on since I didn’t bring a notepad with me tonight. I also didn’t have a reference for where my double stars were since the batteryies are also flat in my book light and there is no convenient street light here with which to read Karkoshca which is sitting in my binocular case.

TargetM42 Orion Nebula, 1976, NGC & M43, NGC 1982
ConstellationOri
CategoryDifNeb
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100129.2006 EST
Size40/12 ly
Distance1400/1400 ly
Age My
Visibility6
Location
Where is M13 graphics
Cartes du Ciel graphic
ReferencesKarkoschka E4
Comments There was a ball of light nebulosity in the area of M42-M43 and also some nebulosity around 42 Ori and 45 Ori.
Stellarium graphic

Target&sigma Ori, 48 Ori
ConstellationOri
CategoryMultiple Star System
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100129.2010 EST
Magnitude3.8/6.6
3.8/6.6
Separation41.5"
12.9"
Color-0.2/-0.2
-0.2/-0.2
P.A.10:00
9:00
Visibility3/2
Distance1090 ly
Location
Cartes du Ciel graphic
References
CommentsI think there might be something at 2:00 but can’t hold the binoculat still enough to be sure. Karkoschka indicates the secondary is at 10:00.Even factoring in phase rotation that isn’t what I “saw”. If you rotated this image clockwise a bit (I am having trouble with Carted du Ciel not rotating the sky appropriately) it is more or less what I saw.
Cartes du Ciel graphic

This is what I should have seen.

Stellarium graphic

TargetMintaka, δ Ori
ConstellationOri
CategoryMultiple Star System
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100129. 2012EST
Magnitude2.2/6.8
Separation52.4”
Color-0.2/-0.2
P.A.12:00
Visibility2
Distance1090 ly
Location
Cartes du Ciel graphic
Stellarium graphic
ReferencesKarkoshca: E5
CommentsI don't remember what I saw here now but the separation is great enough that I should have split the double.

TargetMoon
ConstellationCnc
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100129.2015 EST
Comments
Lunation1077
Phase
Age
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
353,462,000 km
1.18s
Elongation176.56° E
% Illuminated99.9%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)87.76°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)267.76°
Libration in Latitude2° 14'
Libration in Longitude-0° 11'
Magnitude-12.9
Angular Size33' 53"
Altitude33° 50'
Virtual Moon Atlas graphic
The libration arrow is at the top of the image and so small that it is not well illustrated here.

The Moon is painfully bright to look at in the binocular. When it is off to the side of the image I can see it reflecting off the side of the lenses. It is so bright that I can’t find any of M44.

Carted du Ciel graphic
Again the phase rotation problem with Cartes du Ciel. Mars and the Moon should line up nearly horizontally left to right.
Stellarium graphic

It doesn’t look like the image is large enough to make out anything but the grossest of details on the lunar surface but that will be better assessed when there is a terminator to observe.

TargetMars
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100129.2020 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation175.46° E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
0.665 AU
5m 32s
Distance
(from Sun)
1.65 AU
Angular Size14.1"
Magnitude-1.3
Central Meridian53 °
Altitude34.35°
When I first saw Mars above Rockefeller Center from 6 Ave it looked white. Here in the park where there is less light pollution it looks a little orange. I can’t make out M44 in the binocular. When Mars is on the left edge of the FoV Mars is just outside of the right side of the FoV. They are 6.57° apart center to center so roughly 6.29° apart edge to edge and my binocular has a nominal 6.6° FoV.
?Since you are looking at two slightly different FoV with a binocular is the FoV the same dimension vertically as it is horizontally. It would seem that it should be slightly wider than it is tall.

TargetCastor
ConstellationGem
CategoryMultiple Star System
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100129.2023 EST
Magnitude1.9/2.9
Separation4.7"
Color0.0/0.1
P.A.10:00
Visibility2
Distance52 ly
Location
Cartes du Ciel graphic
Stellarium graphic
ReferencesKarkoshca: E7
CommentsNot Seen
much too close for my optics

TargetMekbuda, ζ Gem, 43 Gem
ConstellationGem
CategoryDouble Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100129.2025 EST
Magnitude4/7.6
Separation101"
Color0.9/0.6
P.A.1:00
Visibility3
Distance52 ly
Location
Cartes du Ciel graphic
Stellarium graphic
ReferencesKarkoshca: E7
CommentsI don’t remember whether I saw the secondary or not but I don’t think I did.

Targetε Aur
ConstellationAur
CategoryBinary Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100129.2025 EST
Magnitude3.0 - 3.8
Distance3000 ly
Location
Cartes du Ciel graphic
Stellarium graphic
References
CommentsThe whole of the Kids fits comfortably into my FoV. I still think ε Aur is dimmer than η Aur which appears close in brightness to ζ Aur.