Sunday, November 1, 2009

1 November 2009

After Te Rain

The rain has ceased, and in my room
   The sunshine pours an airy flood;
And on the church's dizzy vane
The ancient cross is bathed in blood.

From out the dripping ivy leaves,
   Antiquely carven, gray and high,
A dormer, facing westward, looks
   Upon the village like an eye.

And now it glimmers in the sun,
   A globe of golden, a disk, a speck;
And in the belfry sits a dove
   With purple ripples on her neck.

Thomas Bailey Aldrich



Observing LocationTotL
It was a mistake trying to observe from here on Marathon Sunday. It was fine once you got here but getting here is the problem. The whole SW corner of the park was a mess with police telling you you couldn’tgo anywhere but west. After walking out in the streets against oncoming traffic for a half mile because the sidewalks were all paracaded off I finally was able to get over to CPW and into the park up at 86 St. I wasn’t surprised that Peter wasn’t there given what he has to carry and the restricted access to te park. We should said CSP.
Observational Period1745-1830 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverIsolated Clouds
with
General Haze
Temperature53° F
WindLight Breezegusting to
Gentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.17" Hg
Rising
Feels Like Mild and a little moist

TransparencyGood
There is enough generalized haze that η Cap and ε Cap are only seen because you know to look for them.
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

1653 EST
Sunset
Civil Twilight begins
1721 EST
Civil Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins

TargetResurs 1-4 Flare
ConstellationPer
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091101.1735 EST
CommentsNot Seen
I was still trying to get up to TotL when this flare occurred.
 CalSky
Time1735 EST
Alt.20.2°
Az.48.6°
NE
Mag.-0.2
Surface 

TargetIridium Flare
ConstellationCep
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091101.1746 EST
Comments
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time EST1746 EST
Alt.°58.7°
Az.°24.2°
NNE
Mag.-1.3
Surface MMA2
Iridium 74 showed up very early dropping on a slight westerly angle. I had given up on a flare when it started to brighten and got very bright right west of α Cam. Then faded quickly.
This flare was not listed on Heavens Above.

1753 EST
Nautical Twilight ends
Astronomical Twilight begins

TargetSkyMed 2 Flare
ConstellationVul
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091101.1826 EST
Comments
 CalSky
Time1826 EST
Alt.74.4°
Az.185.4°
S
Mag.-1.5
SurfaceSAR Panel
I picked up the satellite ~ 1825 EST near zenith and watched it fall between Peg and Cyg. It was already very bright and got even brighter as it fell past Del. Then it began to fade quickly but was visible until it went behind a cloud bank at ~25° altitude. I think my watch is off by several minutes. I already know tat it got messed up royally when I reset it to EST in the middle of the night last night.
[On the way home I went through Rockefeller Center and while passing the Good Morning America studio I noticed that they have big digital cameras on the back of their cameras so I reset my watch to them and found that it was only fast by about 2 seconds.]

1835 EST
Astronomical Twilight ends