| Observing Location | Drip Rock |
| Observational Period | 1200-1300 EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear but Hazy |
| Temperature | 52° F |
| Wind | Calm |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Barometric Pressure | 29.89" Hg Falling |
| Feels Like | Mild |
|
| Instruments | Naked-eye - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Venus |
| Constellation | Lib |
| Category | Planet |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20091128.1200 EST |
| Comments | Not Seen
Object Class | Classical Planet |
|---|
| Phase | 15° |
|---|
| Elongation | 10° 39’ 50.9" W |
| % Illuminated | 98.4% |
Distance Light Time (from Earth) | 1.6693AU m s |
Distance (from Sun) | 0.7233 AU |
| Angular Size | 32.4" |
| Magnitude | -3.9 |
| Altitude | 27° 44’ |
| Central Meridian | 145.26° |
Meridian graphic
Planetary, Lunar and Solar Visibility graphic
Meridian graphic |
I had hoped to meet up with Peter for a daytime observation of Venus but he didn’t arrive until 15 minutes after I had left. I looked in the area where he told me he had seen her yesterday but the sun was nearby lighting up all the haze in the atmosphere and creating a very low-contrast situation. I spent an hour looking intermittently and by then the Sun had moved over the building where Venus was supposed to have been so I figured that by then Venus would be behind one of the buildings on CPS and gave up. |
|
While standing there on Drip Rock overlooking the park drive I was struck by the number of horse drawn carriages that were going past with tourists seeing the park while saving shoe leather. At times you could not have crossed the drive because they were lined up one after the other with the nose of the horse nearly touching the back of the carriage in front of it. The number of carriages decreased towards 1300 and that is when I decided to count the number going past. In a 10-minute period I counted 31 carriages so am sure that in the hour I was there more than 200 must have gone past.