Monday, November 23, 2009

23 November 2009

I have been interested in the star lore of other cultures and the defunct constellations of our culture for some time. Mostly I have read about it in books. Now I have stumbled on a setting in Stellarium which can alter the stick figures of the constellations to those of any of ten other cultures. Now I will have to search the Web to find the lore to go along with the pictures.

Western

Chinese

Egyptian

Inuit

Korean

Lakota

Maori

Navajo

Norse

Polynesian

Tupi-Guarani

Stellarium graphics



CNN is reporting today that two of the three fingers cut from Galileo's corpse and the last tooth from his lower jaw which was also removed before reburial 1737 and have been missing for over 100 years have been purchased at auction and in a museum in Italy. The remaining finger has been on display at the Florence History of Science Museum (has a Galileo section).