I searched the Web and found a Google Answers page on the Sun’s Gravitational Force. This tells me that
The attractive force of gravity is proportional to the mass of the two objects in question and to the square of distance.
So
Mass
F = -------------------
distance * distance
Next I searched the Web for the base data and plugged them into Excel.
| Sun | Moon | ||
|---|---|---|---|
| Mass | 1,988,920,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 | 734,600,000,000,000,000,000 | kg |
| Distance from Earth | 145,597,870 | 384,403 | km |
| Gravitational Pull on Earth | 88,872,314,539,047.5 | 497,138,488,156.45 |
To make those huge numbers easier to understand I made a pie chart showing the relative gravitational pull of the Sun and Moon on Earth and it shows that even though the Sun is much farther away from the Moon it’s gravitational pull is still greater owing to it’s much larger mass.
So why don’t the numbers stack up against what we have been taught about the cause of the tides? Maybe as I get further into this chapter Darwin will unravel the mystery.
I found another formula on a Wikipedia page dealing with the Gravitational Constantthat uses the Gravitational Constant (which Peter mentioned last night) and the difference between the mass of the two planets. So now I needed to find and add in the mass of Earth.
m1 – m2 F = G ------- r * rwhere
- F
- gravitational attraction
- G
- gravitational constant
- m1 (m2)
- mass of the planet
- r
- distance between the two masses
The gravitational constant is expressed as a formula that appears to change depending on what planets are involved and is higher math than I can or want to try to figure out.
I reworked the calculation ignoring the gravitational constant and that changed the relative contribution of the Moon and Sun to our tides considerably.
If I could get a simple number for the gravitational constant maybe that would be the answer to this problem.