Monday, November 9, 2009

9 November 2009

Observing LocationCSP
Observational Period0410-0643 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature51° F
WindCalm
HumidityHigh
On the way uptown when I reached the SE corner of Central Park I could see the moisture hanging in the air as a very light fog, heavier in the park than on the streets. All the sidewalk furniture and cars were covered with dew.
Barometric Pressure30.38" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCool and Moist
When I first arrived and was warm from walking it felt mild but after standing around for a short while I could feel the moist chill in the air.
Part way through the observing session it felt like an asthma attack was coming on but it did not progress to the point that I needed an inhaler which is fortunate since I hadn’t brought mine with me. At 1122 EST NOAA issued an aor quality alert for NYC and surrounding areas for high levels of particulates in the air.

TransparencyGood
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
0242 EST
Saturn Rises

0410 EST
Stellarium graphic
  • The Moon is to the lower right of Mars by ~5°. I can’t see them but know the bees are hard at work a nearly similar distance to the upper right of Mars in M44.
  • Leo is to the lower left of the Moon and is clawing his way up the steep slope of the ecliptic toward the Moon and Mars
  • Saturn isn’t terribly impressive but is shining below the hind-quarters of Leo about half way between the Horizon and the elevation of Denebola. Saturn does not appear to be as bright at Regulus (Mag. 1.35) and is brighter than Denebola (Mag. 2.14). I think it in the brightness range of Algieba (Mag 2.61). Saturn was actually at Mag. 1.1 so brighter than all of the stars I compared it to but was lower in the sky so seen through more atmosphere making it appear darker.
  • Stellarium graphic
  • UMa is standing on his tail over the river to Manhattan north.
  • Arcturus is ~7° up (actually closer to 4° over the eastern tower of the Tri-Borough Bridge
  • Castor and Pollux are near the zenith
  • Orion is over the apartments on E 84 St. I can only see the star at the tip of the Sword, ι Ori, Mag. 2.75
  • I don’t see any of the Hyades other than Aldeberan, Mag. 0.85, and have not been able to find the Pleiades, M45.
  • Auriga is high overhead and I can see all of the Kids although η Aur, Mag. 3.17, is difficult
  • Cassiopeia is low over the buildings along East End Ave and looks like a very angular “d”.
  • Perseus is laying on his stomach south of Cassiopeia. I can see Algol (Mag. 2.12) and ρ Per (Mag. 3.39) and can just make out the Steeple (Mag. 2.93, 3.76 and 3.95) but not the Fishhook (Mag, 4.04, 4.14 and 4.29).

TargetMoon
ConstellationCnc
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0410 EST
Comments
Lunation1075
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age22.15d
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
365,518 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated53.3%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)174.6°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)354.6°
Libration in Latitude2° 35'
Libration in Longitude1° 58'
Magnitude-10.12
Angular Size32.69'
Altitude56° 53'
Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

The Moon appears to be at Last Quarter which occurs at 1056 EST.

TargetMars
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0410 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
1.11367 AU
m s
Distance
(from Sun)
AU
Angular Size8.4"
Illuminated89.1%
Magnitude0.3
Central Meridian9.87 °
Altitude°
Meridian graphic

TargetSaturn
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0410EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
10.117 AU
h m
Distance
(from Sun)
AU
Angular Size16.5"
Ring
Angular
Size
"x"
Ring
Inclination
°
Magnitude1.1
Altitude16° 19'
Stellarium graphic

TargetIridium 49 Flare
ConstellationCrB
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0451 EST
Comments
 CalSky
Time0451:22 EST
Alt.5.4°
Az.54.8°
NE
Mag.-1.0
SurfaceMMA0
A bright flare moving horizontally left to right to the left and slightly above the Manhattan tower of the Tri-Borough Bridge.

TargetIridium 66 Flare
ConstellationPup
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0451 EST
Comments
 CalSky
Time0451:56 EST
Alt.28.7°
Az.182.6°
S
Mag.0.2
SurfaceMMA2
This flare was much fainter than the previous one but persisted longer. It dropped vertically past β Pup.

TargetIridium 26 Flare
ConstellationCrB
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0500 EST
Comments
 CalSky
Time0500:53 EST
Alt.7.4°
Az.57.6°
Mag.-1.9
SurfaceMMA0
This flare occurred a little higher up and closer to the bridge than the one preceding it in CrB. It appeared brighter than Mars (Mag. 0.3) or Sirius (Mag. -1.46). It persisted longer than the flare of Iridium 49 and faded right over the Manhattan tower of the Tri-Borough Bridge.
0501 EST
Astronomical Twilight begins

TargetIridium 3 Flare
ConstellationCrB
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0510 EST
Comments
 CalSky
Time0510:22 EST
Alt.9.6°
Az.60.2°
ENE
Mag.-4.5
SurfaceMMA0
The satellite was moving horizontally from left to right and flared just to the right of the Manhattan tower of the Tri-Borough Bridge. It was very bright with a little ring of illuminated atmosphere around it and slightly yellow.
I think I got a glimpse of one star of CrB and am seeing some more of Boo than just Arcturus.
0518 EST
Venus rises

TargetIridium 22 Flare
ConstellationBoo
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0519 EST
Comments
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time0519 EST0519:47 EST
Alt.12°12.0°
Az.63°
ENE
62.6°
ENE
Mag.-5-4.5
Surface MMA0
I knew this flare would be higher and farther right than the previous one but it was much higher and not as far right as I had estimated. It moved horizontally from left to right and did not appear to be as bright as the flare from Iridium 3, also Mag 4.5. It didn’t persist as long as the prior flares in CrB.

TargetVenus
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0526 EST
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Phase
Elongation15° 25 57.9" W
% Illuminated96.5%
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
1.62560444 AU
m s
Distance
(from Sun)
0.7208 AU
Angular Size10.3"
Magnitude-3.9
Altitude1° 35
Stellarium graphic
I see something ~1/2° above the buildings and to the right of the brightening that must be Venus. I can see it getting higher and moving to the south. It appears a little orange.
Stellarium graphic
0526 EST
I am noticing some localized brightening behind the buildings to the east over in Queens.

TargetCOSMO-SkyMed 3 Flare
ConstellationHya-Cnc-Lyn-UMa
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0531 EST
Comments
 CalSky
Time0531:38 EST
Alt.64.9°
Az.165.5°
SSE
Mag.-0.4
SurfaceSAR Panel
This satellite ascended vertically past Alphard and got to its brightest when it was about the same altitude as the Moon. As it passed overhead it appeared to veer to the left. I lost it in the nose of UMa after tracking it over more than 70° of the celestial sphere.
0533 EST
Astronomical Twilight ends
Nautical Twilignt begins

0545 EST
  • The sky is noticeably brighter to the east. There is a ruddy stripe just above the local horizon.
  • Venus is above the atmosphere and bright white.

0550 EST
  • The sky in the east is dark gray on the horizon, then turns lighter shades of orange as you go up until ~1° up it is faint orange then yellowish then very light gray then about the altitude of Venus (~6°) it starts to darken.
  • The pages in my notebook are feeling moist.
  • The sky turns dark gray about the altitude of Saturn (~34°)

0600 EST
Saturn is getting difficult to find

0605 EST
Nautical Twilight ends
Civil Twilight begins

TargetIridium 46 Flare
ConstellationCor
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091109.0610 EST
CommentsNot Seen
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time0610 EST0610:16 EST
Alt.16°16.4°
Az.136°
SE
135.7°
SE
Mag.0-1.8
Surface MMA2

0719 EST
I am not all that familiar with the upper far east side so I decided to walk home as far east as possible. I started out in the park along the East River and when I ran out of that moved up to Sutton Place North and Sutton Place South. Down at the bottom of Sutton Place South at 54 St. I found a sundial in Sutton Place Park. When I checked it it said that it was after 0800. It must be set to EDT.