Thursday, November 19, 2009

19 November 2009

Reading more in Darwin last night I came across some information on the speed of rotation of the Earth at various longitudes and decided to graph this. I had trouble finding a data source but eventually came up with a scanned copy of Physical Geography by Arnold Guyot (© 1875) from the Maryland College Library (thank you Google). The data is somewhat out of date but it does show how the circumference changes with latitude and the oblateness of the Earth. Rotational speed was calculated by dividing the listed circumference by 24 hours.




I am playing the coverage of the STS-129 first spacewalk in the background and there does not seem to be anywhere near the amount of minute-by-minute direction being given by NASA Mission Control that I have observed before. Most of the communications today are between the space-walkers and the astronauts in Atlantis.


I checked visible passes and there are three dual passes after separation but all of them are during daylight. The only one I would have a chance of would be the 1818 EST pass on 25Nov09 and only then if I can find Jupiter which it will be flying past at a separation of 0.638°.

Wednesday, 25Nov09
  ISSSTS-129
AppearsTime1642:35 EST1643:16 EST
Alt.horizond>horizon
Az.312.6°
NW
312.5
NW
Mag.0.23.2
CulminatesTime1647:15 EST1647:58 EST
Alt.24.8°25.1°
Az.25.69deg;
NNE
26.0°
NNE
Mag.-3.2-0.2
DisappearsTime1651:28 EST1652:09 EST
Alt.2.0°2.1°
Az.97.0
E
97.3°
E
Mag.-1.21.8
CommentsSunset 1831 EST

Wednesday , 25Nov09
  ISSSTS-129
AppearsTime1817:39 EST1818:22 EST
Alt.horizonhorizon
Az.299.3°
WNW
299.2°
WNW
Mag.1.04.0
Max. Alt.Time1822:24 EST1823:08 EST
Alt.34.1°33.6°
Az.222.7°
SW
222.8°
SW
Mag.-2.60.5
DisappearsTime1822:54 EST1823:37 EST
Alt.31.3°31.1°
Az.198.1°
SSW
199.2°
SSW
Mag.-2.80.3
CommentsSunset 1831 EST

Thursday, 26Nov09
  ISSSTS-129
AppearsTime1705:19 EST1706:28 EST
Alt.horizonhorizon
Az.307.9°
NW
307.7°NW
Mag.0.43.4
Max. Alt.Time1710:12 EST1711:32 EST
Alt.64.3°66.3°
Az.34.5°
NE
34.7°
NE
Mag.-4.5-1.5
DisappearsTime1714:38 EST1715:10 EST
Alt.2.0°2.2°
Az.120.5°
ESE
121.1°
ESE
Mag.-1.11.9
CommentsSunset: 1831 EST