Saturday, June 7, 2008

6 June 2008

Observing LocationPKR
Observational Period1700-1715 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverIsolated Clouds
with
Light Haze
Temperature71° F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityHigh
Barometric Pressure30.11" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeWarm

There are isolated patches of mares’ tails after its being overcast most of the day with a trace of rain.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationTau
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080606.1700 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 26s
Angular Size31' 34.1"
Altitude36.0°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
+0.08°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
38.53°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-13.02°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2070

Nothing seen
There was a question mark on the small SOHO image at Space Weather this afternoon and on the high resolution image there was something that might be a developing group or a dead camera pixel.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationUnionport Rd @ Tremont Ave
Observational Period2030-2100 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature63° F
WindCalm
HumidityHigh
Barometric Pressure30.12" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeWarm

The sky turned pink as the sun set then seemed to clear as the sun got far enough below the horizon that it could no longer illuminate the clouds.

There is a high heat advisory in effect for tomorrow through Monday and also a poor air quality index due to stagnation causing a rise in the ozone level.

TransparencyFair
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationCnc
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080606.2030 EDT
Comments
Lunation1057
PhaseWaxing Crescent
Age3d 5h 06m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
364,829 km
1.22s
Elongation44.8°
% Illuminated14.5%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)308.7°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)128.7°
Libration in Latitude-1° 36'
Libration in Longitude5° 38'
Magnitude-8.0
Angular Size32.75'
Altitude31° 30'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

I thought about bringing the compact binocular out but decided it would be too bright to see anything so didn’t. I forgot that the young crescent Moon would be setting. I couldn’t make out any earthshine or the dark limb.

TargetISS/STS-124 Visible Pass
ConstellationAur - Dra - Cas
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080606.2044 EDT
CommentsI didn’t pick it up until it was past culmination. I didn’t seem to fade much. I lost it in a tree and after I changed position couldn’t find it again and don’t know if it had gone into Earth’s shadow or behind a building. It passed less that ½ degree beneath the only star I could see which must have been Vega. I probably would have missed the star if I hadn’t been tracking the satellite as it conjuncted with the star.
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n &nbst
s  
Time2046:52 EDT2049:31 EDT2052:09 EDT
Alt.10°32°10°
Az.WNWNNEE
Mag-0.7
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time2045:21 EDT2050:07 EDT2015:06 EDT
Alt.horizon31.3°4.7°
Az.311.5°
WNW
28.5°
NNE
101.2°
E
Mag4.7-2.9-1.6



Observing LocationWhite Plains Rd @ Wood Ave
Observational Period2010-2040 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature63° F
WindCalm
HumidityHigh
Barometric Pressure30.13" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeSlightly Cool

I am not seeing any stars our to the west and the Moon is not as sharply defined as it should be.

TransparencyPoor
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 25 Flare
ConstellationCnc
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080606.2220 EDT
CommentsI did not see this Mag -6 flare although I did see the Mag -2.8 ISS pass. I suspect that the flare was blocked by a building or tree. I was seeing planes, which I am estimating at Mag -2 – Mag -3, in the area so I certainly should have seen a Mag -7 flare.
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time2220:55 EDT2220:56 EDT
Alt.15°14.8°
Az.274°
W
274.6°
W
Mag.-6-5.5
Surface MMA0

TargetISS/STS-124 Visible Pass
ConstellationGem - Crt
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080606.2220 EDT
CommentsI had not seen it from my location so started walking south on White Plains Rd toware McGraw Ave and picked it up about 5 seconds before it passed into Earth’s shadow.
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n &nbst
s  
Time2222:05 EDT2224:26 EDT22224:26 EDT
Alt.10°24°24°
Az.NNWSWSW
Mag-0.7
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time2220:29 EDT2250:07 EDT2253:47 EDT
Alt.23.9°23.9°23.9°
Az.269.0°
WNW
225.1°
SW
225.1°
SW
Mag



Observing LocationMcgraw Ave @ Virginai Ave
Observational Period2315-2345 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverBroken Clouds
Temperature63° F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityHigh
Barometric Pressure30.14" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCool

I was looking up and noticed that when I yawned the moisture in by breath condensed as it rose from my mouth.

I may have seen one star briefly but it wasn’t anywhere near where the flare was supposed to be.

I am saying the cloud cover was broken because there were some darker patches of sky that might have been gaps in the clouds but since I didn’t see stars it is more than likely that it was overcastr.

TransparencyPoor
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 28 Flare
ConstellationVir
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080606.2337 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time2337:26 EDT2337:27 EDT
Alt.30°30.5°
Az.231
SW°
230°
SW
Mag.-2-1.6
Surface MMA0