| Observing Location | McGraw Ave at Virginia Ave, Bronx, NY |
| Observational Period | 0440-0455 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Scattered Clouds |
| Temperature | 73° F |
| Wind | Calm |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Barometric Pressure | 29.98" Hg Falling |
| Feels Like | Mild |
I checked the weather and they said it was cloudy but all I saw was a few scatted clouds and did see the moon unobstructed. After the sun came up there were more clouds visible and when I went out around 0930 EDT it was overcast.
|
| Instruments | naked-eye - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| 0319 EDT | Astronomical Twilight begins |
| 4009 EDT | Astronomical Twilight ends Nautical Twilight begins |
| 0452 EDT | Nautical Twilight ends Civil Twilight begins |
| Target | Iridium 70 Flare |
| Constellation | Cyg |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080626.0452 EDT |
| Comments | Not Seen
I saw some stars faintly when I first came out but as twilight brightened they faded.
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
| Time | 0452:39 EDT | 0452:39 EDT |
| Alt. | 68° | 67.9° |
| Az. | 254 WSW° | 254.2° WSW |
| Mag. | -6 | -5.2 |
| Surface | | MMA2 |
|
|---|
|
| 0526 EDT | Civil Twilight ends Sunrise |
The First Quarter Moon was over to the East more than the flare was supposed to be and was easily visible unobstructed in the growing twilight even though it was lower in the sky.
| Observing Location | White Plains Road over the Cross Bronx Expressway, Bronx, NY |
| Observational Period | 2200-2235 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Scattered Clouds |
| Temperature | 78° F |
| Wind | Calm |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Barometric Pressure | 29.84" Hg Rising |
| Feels Like | Warm |
The humidity has dropped since dinnertime, but it is still close out. I can see some cloud again but can’t be sure how much there really is. I did see the Big Dipper (a.k.a., the Plough) so the sky is clear at least there.
|
| Instruments | Naked-eye - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| 2031 EDT | Sunset Civil Twilight begins |
| 2105 EDT | Civil Twilight ends Nautical Twilight begins |
|---|
| 2147 EDT | Nautical Twilight ends Astronomical Twilight begins |
| Target | Iridium 90 Flare |
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080626.2210 EDT |
| Comments | Not Seen
CalSky says this was Iridium 91 and is a spare satellite so the brightness estimate may be unreliable.
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
| Time | 2210:43 EDT | 2210:44 EDT |
| Alt. | 21° | 21.4° |
| Az. | 268° W | 267.7° W |
| Mag. | -3 | -4.0 |
| Surface | | MMA0 |
|
|---|
|
| Target | Iridium 55 Flare |
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080626.2223 EDT |
| Comments | Not Seen
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
| Time | 2223:03 EDT | 2223:03 EDT |
| Alt. | 19° | 18.8° |
| Az. | 270° W | 270.3° W |
| Mag. | -2 | -2.9 |
| Surface | | MMA0 |
|
|---|
|
| Target | Iridium 28 Flare |
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080626.2232 EDT |
| Comments | Not Seen
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
| Time | 2232:10 EDT | 2232:11 EDT |
| Alt. | 16° | 15.6° |
| Az. | 271° W | 270.3° W |
| Mag. | 0 | -0.8 |
| Surface | | MMA0 |
|
|---|
|
| 2238 EDT | Astronomical Twilight ends |
This was another night when there was a string of closely spaced flares that were supposed to have moved to the right and down with time.
| | Iridium 90 | Iridium 55 | Iridium 28 | Iridium 37 |
| Time | 2210:43 EDT | 2223:03 EDT | 2232:10 EDT | 2348:48 EDT |
| Alt/ | 21° | 19° | 16° | 31° |
| Az. | 268° | 270° | 271° | 228° |
| Mag. | -3 | -2 | 0 | 0 |
| Observing Location | MO
I had gone up to PSC and found a place where I could see the chunk of sky I needed between the trees and the buildings and was sitting there reading when one of the rent-a-cops came by and told me that it was after 2300 EDT and I had to leave. I checked to make sure she was serious and she was so I packed up and moved outside of the circle onto the sidewalk that provides access to eight apartment buildings and was reading there for a short while when another rent-a-cop came by with the same demand. It seems that they are classifying the sidewalks part of the “park” and are denying access between 2300 EDT and 0600 EDT. This is crazy since it means that anyone who is out late at night can’t get to their apartment without breaking the “law” This will affect over 500 families. I hope this is a temporary thing in anticipation of the 4th of July since there is no reasoning with the rent-a-cops. I went up to the oval, which is just as much a “park” and was not hastled at all there. |
| Observational Period | 2340-2355 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Isolated Clouds |
| Temperature | 77° F |
| Wind | Light Breeze |
| Humidity | High |
| Barometric Pressure | 29.84" Hg Steady |
| Feels Like | Mild |
I can’t see much in the way of clouds but the only star I can see is Arcturus. I think Spica should be visible between the buildings but I don’t see it.
|
| Instruments | Naked-eye - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Iridium 37 Flare |
| Constellation | Vir |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20080626.2328 EDT |
| Comments | Not Seen
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
| Time | 2348:48 EDT | 2348:54 EDT |
| Alt. | 31° | 32.1° |
| Az. | 228° SW | 229.4° SW |
| Mag. | 0 | 0.8 |
| Surface | | MMA0 |
|
|---|
|