Monday, October 5, 2009

5 October 2009

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended to forgo their use . . . He would not require us to deny sense and reason in physical matters which are set before our eyes and minds by direct experience or necessary demonstrations.

Galileo Galilei



    This still afternoon
Is full of autumn sunlight
    and spring memories.

Richard Wright



Observing LocationTotL & TPO
I started out at TotL and moved to TPO at 2015 when some dog walkers we have been seeing regularly told me Peter was down there. Tonight was the 6th anniversary of our first joint observing session at TPO and I missed in his email that he intended celebrating it at that location rather than our usual TotL.
Observational Period1945-0100 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
decreasing to
Isolated Clouds
Initially there were passing patches of heavy cloud with other areas where stars could be seen but where the sly was a brighter gray than other areas, like the milky way ad been moved. The pillars of light rising from the GE building and Times Square were very much in evidence.
Temperature60° F
Windvarying between
Light Breeze
and
Gentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.94" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeVery Cool

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
InstrumentsNaked-eye – Charlie
Teleport 10" Donsonisn reflector – Peter
  • 2" Pentax 40mm, 70° FoV, 31.8x
  • 2" TeleVue Nagler 17mm, 82° FoV, 74.7x
  • 1.25" TeleVue Nagler 13mm, 82° FoV, 97.7x
  • 1.25" TeleVue Plossl 7mm, 82° FoV, 181.4x
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
1832 EDT
Sun Sets
Civil Twilight Begins
1853 EDT
Moon Rises
1900 EDT
Civil Twilight Ends
Nautical Twilight Begins

TargetMoon
ConstellationAri
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091005.1930 – 20091006.0100 EDT
Comments
Lunation1073
PhaseWaning Gibous
Age17.24d
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
380,776 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated96.5%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)116.1°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)296.1°
Libration in Latitude-5° 44'
Libration in Longitude-4° 7’
Magnitude-
Angular Size31.38'
Altitude17° 6’

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

As I entered The Great Lawn by TPO I saw the not quite full Moon rising yellow above a big apartment building along 5 Ave. I think most people would say that it was full but I could see that there was a portion of it missing in the NE quadrant.

When I got down to TPO Peter and I spent all night bouncing back and forth between the Moon and Jupiter with passers-by. On the Moon we started out looking at Mare Orientale then switched to the terminator and finally just before heading out, back to Mare Orientale.

The western rim of the Moon is in full light so should appear smooth but in the area of Mare Orientale it was obviously lumpy. There were what looked like mountain ranges and peaks separated by varying lengths of smooth terrain. We are interpreting this as being the inner slump rings of the great walled plain as they were farther out on the limb than Lacus Veris and Lacus Autumni. I ave looked in Virtual Moon Atlas and it isn’t much help that close to the limb. It also doesn’t like to give you the labels of maria on damand.


Google Earth graphic

Over on the terminator we spent most of our time looking into the southern portion of Mare Crisium. There was a discolored area down there that looked to me like a drowned crater but did not give that impression to Peter. I can’t find any indication of a large feature there in either Grego of VMA.

Further down on the terminator we observed Langrenous and Petavius. In Langrenous we could see the complex central peak and a lot of slumping in the NW portion of the rim and a lesser amount opposite in the SW portion.

Google Earth graphic

geologic map of Langrenous

Down in Petavius we saw the central peak, Petavius C in the rim and the long, straight Rimae Petavius extending from the central peak all the way to the rim.

Google Earth graphic

geologic map of Petavious

Up above Mare Crisium we checked in on Atlas and Hercules. The extensive slumping of the wall of Atlas was noted and in Hercules we saw Hercules G on the crater floor and Hercules E and an unnamed crateron the southern rim.

Google Earth graphic

geologic map of Atlas & Hercules
1931 EDT
Nautical Twilight Ends
Astronomical Twilight Begins

TargetCygnus
ConstellationCyg
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091005.1945 EDT
CommentsIn preparation for the upcoming Great World Wide Star Count I decided to to a limiting magnitude estimate in Cygnus to familiarize myself with the indicator stars. I also intend to make observations from Times Square and Columbus Circle which I am guessing are about the minimum 1 km separation requested for multiple observations. So on the way up to TotL I stopped briefly at each location to see what I could see.
Times Squareno stars seenMag -1
Columbus Circle3 stars in crossMag 2
TotL & TPO3-4 stars in V behind DenebMag 4.75

At2000 EDT Antares was 2:00 to the northern tower of the Time-Warner Building(s) and Sagittarius was over the GE Building pouring its contents into Times Square. The Moon is now above the trees NE or TotL and below Hamal and Sheridan in Aries. I can see Polaris and the Guardians of the Pole, Pherkad and Kochab.

2003 EDT
Astronomical Twilight Ends

TargetJupiter
Constellation
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091005.2030 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
4.3935 AU
m s
Distance
(from Sun)
5.0257 AU
Angular Size44.8"
Magnitude-2.7
Central Meridian
I/II/III
237.50°/8.96° /118.91°
Altitude31° 41’
Moons

Carted du Ciel graphic
Europa, Callisto and Io were out to the left of the planet. Io and Callisto were close together. Ganymede was out to the right all by itself. There was a field star a little fainter than the moons visible above the planet. I could see the Equatorial Bands but no indication of polar caps. Naked-eye &io; Cap could be seen to the lower left of the planet right on the edge of a ring of illuminated atmosphere.