Monday, October 26, 2009

25 October 2009

Observing LocationTotL
Resources:
  • The bathrooms were still open when I arrived but were closed when I left.
  • The water fountains are still turned on.
Observational Period1845-1945 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud Cover Broken
becoming
Scattered
becoming
Broken
Temperature 58° F
Wind Light Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.11" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCool
I checked the Weather Underground history for the Central Park NOAA weather station and it reported clear skies all day yesterday

TransparencyPoor
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye – Charlie
Naked Eye - Tom
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Tom Claybough
1559 EDT
Moonrise
1802 EDT
Sunset
Civil Twilight begins
1830 EDT
Civil Twiligt ends
Nautical Twilight begins
1845 EDT
  • The First Quarter Moon and Jupiter were shining through the clouds. The Moon is about 15° to the West of Jupiter and will be near Jupiter tomorrow night when the clouds should be even worse.
  • Polaris, Arcturus, Altair, Vega, the top of the Northern Cross and Cassiopeia were seen through gaps in the clouds.
1902 EDT
Nautical Twilight ends
Astronomical Twilight begins

TargetIridium 72 Flare
ConstellationCas, Cam
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091025.1923 EDT
Comments
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time1923:08 EDT1923:09 EDT
Alt.46°46.3°
Az.21°
NNE;
20.8°
NNE
Mag.-7-6.0
Surface&nsp;MMA2
I had an alarm set on my watch for 1822 EDT but was already watching for the satellite when it went off. Shortly after the alarm I picked it up descending through upper Cassiopeia. As it got down near the altitude of Polaris it flared a very bright, big and gold. I think it appeared so large because the light was being refracted by the clouds.

Finally a flare where I was expecting it to be. I had estimated the location by looking a hand span east of Polaris then fudged back west to compensate for compass deviation. I was looking for anything moving anywhere near Cassiopeia.

1934 EDT
Astronomical Twilight ends
1943 EDT
First Quarter Moon