Sunday, February 1, 2009

31 January 2009

Observing LocationWashington Square Park
Lat.: 40.7314052287371°
Long.: -73.9968037605286°
Observational Period1545-1600 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature27° F
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.98" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCool

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetVenus
ConstellationPsc
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090131.1545 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Phase
Elongation45.99°
% Illuminated41.5%
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
4m 40.27s
Distance
(from Sun)
0.5615858 AU
Angular Size29.7"
Magnitude-4.5
Altitude60.72°

Meridian graphic
I didn’t know exactly where to look for Venus but, based on my experience last week, judged that it should be between the Moon and the Sun, close to the Moon. The ecliptic was very steep. I looked along an ark from the Sun to the Moon and beyond but didn’t see any small points of light.

TargetMoon
ConstellationPsc
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090131.1545 EDT
Comments
Lunation1065
PhaseWaxing Crescent
Age5.32635d
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
385,154.4 km
1.28s
Elongation61.36°
% Illuminated26.1%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)°
Libration in Latitude°
Libration in Longitude°
Magnitude-8.6
Angular Size31' 1.69"
Altitude60.2595°

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic
The Moon was up high, probably greater than 60°, when I left the library. The terminator was still concaved so it hasn’t reached First Quarter yet.


Sunspots Observed

I was not able to do any solar observing this month.

Observing Hours for the Year 2009

 DayNightTotal
HoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvg
Jan0.5020.250.2510.250.7520.38
TOTAL0.5020.250.2510.250.7520.38