Monday, February 2, 2009

2 February 2009

Observing LocationBowery @ E 3 St, New York, NY
Lat.: 40d 43m 33.8s
Long.: -73d 59m 29.9s
Observational Period0545-0600 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature41° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.94" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeMild

TransparencyGood
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 80 Flare
ConstellationCam
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090202.0600 EDT
Comments
Alt.50°
Az.353°
N
Mag.-8
I don’t have a compass to know where to look for these things and don’t know how to figure azimuths in Google Maps so had to punt on this one. I figured that Manhattan North is about 29° east of Magnetic North and the flare was to occur at 7° west of Magnetic North so if I looked about 37° or one span + 1 fist + 4 fingers west of Manhattan North I should be in the neighborhood.

When I got out there I could see the entire Big Dipper and Polaris and the Guardian Stars of the Little Dipper so thought I was looking too far to the west. I know where Camelopardalus is relative to Cassiopeia, which I could not see, but not relative to the dippers so just started scanning the sky in a stripe from where my math told me I should look to the building limiting my eastern view.

I picked up the satellite falling nearly vertically past the handle of the Little Dipper. As it fell it quickly flared to a very bright golden light about 1° west of the line of the handle of the Little Dipper then quickly faded. I tracked it until it was about 4° below the altitude of Polaris. I think it was probably about 5° east of the location I was expecting it to be in.

TargetBig Dipper
ConstellationUMa
CategoryAsterism
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090202.0545 EDT
CommentsI could see all of the stars of the Big Dipper but didn't look for the Three Leaps of the Gazelle. I didn't try to split Mizar and Alcor.
NameBayerMag
Alkaidη UMa1.9
Mizarζ UMa2.1
Aliothε UMa1.8
Megrezδ UMa3.3
Dhubeα UMa1.8
Mirakβ UMa2.4
Phadγ UMa2.4

TargetLittle Dipper
ConstellationUMi
CategoryAsterism
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090202.0545 EDT
CommentsThe only stars I could make out in the Little Dipper were the Guardians and Polaris.
NameBayerMag
Polaris&alpha UMi2.0 (var)
Kochabβ UMi2.1
Pherkadγ UMi30.

TargetLyra
ConstellationLyr
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090202.0600 EDT
CommentsI saw Vega and the two bottom stars of the lyre.
NameBayerMag
Vegaα Lyr0.0
Sheliakβ Lyr4.3
Sulaphatγ Lyr3.2

TargetJupiter?
Constellation
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090202.0600 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
m s
Distance
(from Sun)
AU
Angular Size"x"
Magnitude-
Central Meridian
I/II
°/°
Altitude°
Moons

Starry Night Starter graphic
At first I thought I was seeing Lyra. There was one bright star with two fainter stars on a line like the bottom of the paralellogram of the lyre and another star on the other side of the bright star that might have been the γ Lyr double. But the pair of stars were too far away from the bright star and the possible γ Lyr was also too far away and in the wrong place relative to the bottom of the lyre. I think I was seeing Castor and Pollux along with Jupiter but need to get to a star chart to confirm that. I was looking Manhattan South and probably about 40° altitude.

[Might I have been seeing Castor, Pollux, Betelgeuse and Bellatrix? The spatial relationship appears to match what I remember. But I think Orion whould be farther along the ecliptic by that time in the morning.]




Groundhog Day

I don't know about any of the various area rodent prognosticators, but I saw my shadow today so it looks like we will indeed have another six weeks of winter. The TV weather man this morning said that it is going to get cloudy and start to cool off and that we will get 1-3" of snow tomorrow.