Tuesday, April 15, 2008

15 April 2008

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1415-1430 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature57°F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.16" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeCool

The Sun is warm but the wind is making it feel cool.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationPsc
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080415.1415 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.00 AU
8m 21s
Angular Size31' 55.6"
Altitude55.3°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-5.53°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
7.61°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-25.96°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2068

Nothing Seen. The spot that was visible on SOHO yesterday has dissipated.

 Groups SpotsR
North 0 0 0
South 0 0 0
Total 0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationWhite Plains Rd @ McGraw Ave, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1930-2000 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature53°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.14" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeMild

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationLeo
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080415.1930 EDT
Comments
Lunation1055
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age9d 19h 34m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
385,206 km
1.28s
Elongation129.2° E
% Illuminated81.9%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)33.8°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)213.8°
Libration in Latitude1° 35'
Libration in Longitude6° 19'
Magnitude-11.4
Angular Size31.02'
Altitude53° 26'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

There was nice contrast between the Moon and the sky and also between the mare and the uplands.

It didn't look to me like there is as much of the Moon illuminated at Virtual Moon Atlas indicates.

I could see Mare Crisium as a separate entity and Mare Serenitatis, Mare Tranquilitatis, Mare Fecunditatis and Mare Nectaris looked like a connected blob, possibly with Fecunditatis and Nectaris looking like rabbit ears.

I could see Saturn (0.5m) above the Moon but could not find Regulus (1.36m) even at 1955 EDT as I was getting home.


Starry Night Starter graphic

I had thought I would go back out with SAR to observe the Moon later tonight but I was tired after dinner and went to bed early after reading a little.

1934 EDTSunset
Civil Twilight begins

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080415.1949 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
The sky was still much too bright looking into the direction of the setting Sun to see a +0.1m object.
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time1949 EDT1951 EDT1953 EDT
Alt.10°19°10°
Az.WSWS
Mag+0.1

2003 EDTCivil Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins
2037 EDTNautical Twilight ends
Astronomical Twilight begins
2113 EDTAstronomical Twilight ends

TargetIridium Flare
ConstellationCom
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080415.2123 EDT
CommentsI forgot about this one until just as it was happening. I was planning to at least look at it out the bedroom window but dinner took precedence.
Heavens Above
Alt.49°
Az.90°
E
Mag.-3