Thursday, April 10, 2008

10 April 2008

I have a Bird in Spring

I have a Bird in spring
Which for myself doth sing --
The spring decoys.
And as the summer nears --
And as the Rose appears,
Robin is gone.

Yet do I not repine
Knowing that Bird of mine
Though flown --
Learneth beyond the sea
Melody new for me
And will return.

Fast is a safer hand
Held in a truer Land
Are mine --
And though they now depart,
Tell I my doubting heart
They're thine.

In a serener Bright,
In a more golden light
I see
Each little doubt and fear,
Each little discord here
Removed.

Then will I not repine,
Knowing that Bird of mine
Though flown
Shall in a distant tree
Bright melody for me
Return.

Emily Dickinson

Today is the second day that I have heard birds singing in the courtyard in the morning sun. I also noticed today a squirrel that looked very scruffy like he was molting his winter fur. The temperature will likely get into the 70s this afternoon.



Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1230-1245 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Very light haze
Temperature68°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.10" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeWarm

The sky isn’t as blue as it should be.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationPsc
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080410.1230 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.00 AU
8m 20s
Angular Size31' 58.3"
Altitude57.7°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-5.91°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
74.58°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-26.21°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2068

Nothing Seen

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationWhite Plains Road near Cross Bronx Expressway, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1915-2000 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
becoming
Broken Clouds
Temperature72°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.05" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeWarm

It is warm and comfortable out tonight. When walking over to White Plains Road I was seeing Virga backlighted. On getting there I found a mackerel sky out behind me. On the way home there were mares tails to the south and west.

TransparencyFair
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

1929 EDTSunset
Civil Twilight begins

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080410.1937 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
The sky is too bright that close to the Sun.
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time1937:31 EDT1939:44 EDT1941:57 EDT
Alt.10°20°10°
Az.NNWNNEENE
Mag-0.4

TargetIridium 10 Flare
ConstellationHyd
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080410.1944:53 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
This was a faint flare but it was also behind a patch of clouds.
CalSky
Alt.16.1°
Az.150.7°
SSE
Mag.+0.3

TargetIridium 54 Flare
ConstellationHyd
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080410.1953 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
This flare was brighter than the previous one, but still in an area of clouds.
CalSky
Alt.19.6°
Az.156.3°
SSE
Mag.-0.7

TargetIridium 90 Flare
ConstellationHyd
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080410.1953 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
This one should have been right next to the previous one so also behind the clouds.
CalSky
Alt.19.6°
Az.157.2°
SSE
Mag.-0.6

Civil Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins
1957 EDT

TargetMoon
Constellation
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080410.2000 EDT
CommentsThe Moon is visible through the clouds and I can detedt some earthshine but can't make out any detail.
Lunation1055
PhaseWaxing Crescent
Age4d 20h 04m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
3633,316 km
1.21s
Elongation66.9° E
% Illuminated30.4%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)332.4°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)152.4°
Libration in Latitude-5° 20'
Libration in Longitude3° 59'
Magnitude-9.3
Angular Size32.89'
Altitude56° 22'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

2031 EDTNautical Twilight ends
Astronomical Twilight begins
2106 EDTAstronomical Twilight ends

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080410.2112 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
I forgot about this pass and went home to dinner. By the time of the passs it was probably already too cloudy to see it but I don’t know that for sure.
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time2112:09 EDT2114:44: EDT2114:44 EDT
Alt.10°50°50°
Az.WNWWSWWSW
Mag-1.8



Observing LocationHome
Observational Period2130-2150 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverBroken or Overcast
Temperature66°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.11" Hg
Fising
Feels LikeMild

I think I am seeing some gaps in the clouds but can’t be sure that they aren’t darker depending patches of cloud.

TransparencyNil
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMetop A Flare
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080410.2148 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
The clouds were too dense to see anything unless it just happened to be in a passing gap in the clouds.
CalSky
Alt.29°
Az.354°
N
Mag.-1.4