I went down to Grace Plaza a little while ago to try to Photograph a bright flare from Iridium 15. ISS Detector/Heavens Above were predicting it at magazine -8.4 while CalSky said -7.0. I don't think it was as bright as some of the recent dimmer flares that I have seen. I initially set up in the seating area and changed location there because I felt Vega was too close to the Grace building. Then a minute or two before the flare I removed to the NW corner of the lot and set up by the seating wall. The flare occurred to the lower right of Vega and was still bright when the satellite went behind the Grace building. I had considered going to Bryant Park but wasn't shure what time the spotlights up on the MetLife bui-ding get turned on so Grace Plaza seemed a better option. When Vega became visible I thought about Bryant Park again but thought it was too close to flare time to change horses. The air felt very humid when I first went outside but I soon got used to it.
ISS Detector
A flash from Iridium 15 will be visible from New York City, on Tuesday, 26 Aug 20:13:53
Visible in the SE (124°)
Elevation: 67°
Brightness: -8.4
Visible in the SE (124°)
Elevation: 67°
Brightness: -8.4
20h13m53s
CalSky
Iridium 15
Very bright Flare in TwilightFlare from MMA1 (Right antenna)
Magnitude=-7.0mag
Azimuth=123.9° SE altitude= 67.3°
in constellation Lyra
Very bright Flare in TwilightFlare from MMA1 (Right antenna)
Magnitude=-7.0mag
Azimuth=123.9° SE altitude= 67.3°
in constellation Lyra
35 minutes after sunset
The first light that appears in the open sky is Vega. Iridium 15 appears down near the edge of the building on the right.
