Saturday, August 23, 2014

23 August 2014

Toonight I attended a public observing night on the Intrepid jointly sponsored by the museum and the AAA. The weather wasn't great but was forecast to improve. It did change as the night wore on but not for the better. Only six telescopes were set up. There were a couple more there that were not even unpacked. And as soon as the clouds thickened out of the NE and there were a couple of drops of rain all the tripod legs were collapsed and people ran home. I stuck it out until closing time and actually showed people stars. I found a large open cluster of 12 bright white stars surrounded by a ring of fainter red stars low on the SE horizon.

Image made from Times Square, not on the Intrepid

It was in the constellation Hard Rock Cafe. These were the only stars that were seen tonight.

I guess I am at least an honorary AAAer as I got three glow wands taped to my tripod legs just like the real members did.

I remade my pinhole of the AWACS plane but don't think I had the camera tipped up enough. And I tried one of the SR-71 Blackbird but I think that plane is too big to get it all in from where I have to make the picture even with my extreme wide angle "lens."