| Observing Location | DR |
| Observational Period | EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear General Haze |
| Temperature | 54° F |
| Wind | Gentle Breeze |
| Wind Chill Effect | 51° F |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Barometric Pressure | 29.95" Hg Rising |
| Feels Like | Very mild |
|
| Instruments | West Marine 7x50 Raiatea binocular - Charlie
7x50 binocular - Peter |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
|
|---|
Conditions were not as good tonight as they were last night. Although NOAA was predicting no clouds and was reporting clear from Central Park the haze is more dense tonight than it was last night. It is milder out and I am comfortable in shorts and because I have added my foul weather jacket tonight feel nice and warm on top and hot while walking up there.
| Target | Iridium 49 Double Flare |
| Constellation | Cnc & Hya |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20100307.1928 EST |
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
|---|
|   | 1st Flare | 2nd Flare |
| Time | 1928:29 EST | 1928:29 EST | 1928:39 EST |
| Alt. | 42° | 47.7° | 45.2° |
| Az. | 133° SE | 133.2° SE | 137.2 SR |
| Mag. | -2 | -2 | -0.4 |
| Surface | | MMA1 | Solar Panels |
|
| Comments | I picked up the satellite about the time it was passing under Mars and only saw the second flare.
|
|---|
|
| Target | Iridium 11 Flare |
| Constellation | Cnc & Hya |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20100307.1932 EST |
| | CalSky |
|---|
| | 1st Flare | 2nd Flare |
| Time | 1932:51 EST | 1933:01 EST |
| Alt. | 50.0° | 47.1° |
| Az. | 135.6° SE | 139.9° SE |
| Mag. | -3.6 | -2.6 |
| Surface | MMA1 | solar panels |
|
| Comments | We only saw one flare. I don’t know if we didn’t pick up the satellite in time to see the first flare or if this is one of those double flares where the first flare’s brightness doesn’t drop below the second flare’s brightness. This time difference between the two flares was only 10 seconds and I think I tracked it for longer than that before it flared so I suspect that the two flares merged into one prolonged flare. I don’t have a sense of how long the flare lasted but it did seem like it was brighter than mag -4.
|
|---|
|
 | Tonight the sky was only Mag 4 and I really had to work to get that. |
Again tonight I feel that ε Aur is fainter than ζ Aur although they are very close in brightness.
I could see about 5 Pliades and could not see Pherkad Minor.
I located the Beehive Cluster, M44, and it seemed very subdued.
| Observing Location | BP |
| Observational Period | 2030-2045 EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | |
| Temperature | ° F |
| Wind | Gentle Breeze |
| Wind Chill Effect | 48° F |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Barometric Pressure | 29.95" Hg Rising slowly |
| Feels Like | Mild |
|
| Instruments | West Marine 7x50 Raiatea binocular - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
 | Mag 3. The lights shining down from the top of the MetLife building to illuminate the park are really washing out the sky. |
While making my GLOBE at Night assessment I might have seen a meteor coming from behind the tower of the Bryant Park Hotel, but it was so brief an event I can’t be sure it wasn’t flying garbage lit by building lights. It was broad and bright white, and when it disappeared there was no trace of anything so I suspect it was a meteor. The Delta-Leonids, Gamma-Normids and Virginids are all active with the peak of the Gamma-Normids being the most proximate. The radiant of the Normids is well below the horizon. This was moving in the wrong direction to have been either a Leonids or a Virginids.